You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Where to send complaint?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:09 pm 

When there is a serious complaint about patient care and patient discharge from a hospital in Ontario, where is the proper place to contact?

When it's about a doctor, I think you contact the College of Physician's and Surgeons. Is it the same place for a hospital?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

AM, quite certain Ont. College is supposed to govern actions of hospitals as well.

Here's a link to find out more: http://www.cpso.on.ca/policies/complain ... px?id=1772

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe contact the Ministry of Health.
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/pub ... hsapd.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:58 am 

AM I was involved in a very serious case of level of care/discharge several years ago with regards to my grandmother (I'm her legal medical guardian). I went right to our minister of health who by miracle got my frantic email/call that day and had an assistant call me at home that same day.
That got the ball rolling. I also called the hospital directly and got the big big administrative boss, I called and they told me it wasn't possible to talk to her but I was like crazy lady threatening the media on their doorstep in a 1/2 hour if someone didn't let me talk to her. She ended up being a very kind/understanding lady who had no idea what had happened and also helped asap try to rectify the situation.
Good luck, I'd do all of the above as well as the college of surgeons, don't stop until someone listens and helps you.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:40 am 

Thank you all.

At this point ther's nothing they can do for us. But we want to prevent it from happening in the future. I feel we need to go above the head of the hospital. Either he/she is allowing this to go on or isn't paying enough attention to what is going on. Neither is acceptable.

I am disgusted that a patient in this country could be treated this way.

None to impressed with how they talked to the family either. :verymad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Without knowing the specific details, I would suggest that, you can certainly ask what the protocol for your particular circumstance. Did the people involved follow procedure? If not, they can be re-educated or face reprimand etc. If it turns out that they did follow procedure, perhaps that procedure should be looked at.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb