You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:28 pm 

WOW!! We are wondering why on earth we didn't go sooner, Calypso was well worth the money and DS and DD had an amazing day. It is apparently the largest water park in Canada now. We went at 9:30 and you can pay to enter the park then go wait by one of the inner gates until they unlock them. Trust me, it is busy and you will want to. It says online the park is on 100 acres and the wave pool is an acre in itself. You can bring in any food you like but they do check bags and coolers at the entrance. Be sure to hold your bag for a second and ask the attendant not to touch as they do lift up food items inside to see into the cooler and make sure no alchohol is inside. I just explained our son has allergies and to please not touch his food, she had no problem with this as I held his bag open and lifted the ice pack so she could see inside.
There is a large first aid room by the entrance which has someone all the time inside. There are staff and lifeguards everywhere also.
I swear I am a peanut butter magnet, as we sat on these lounging chairs the family next opens up this HUGE container of pb& j sandwiches, Natures peanut butter granola bars and chick pea salad. :roll: I actually cracked a grin as all I could think of was really, what are the chances they would sit right next to us. I just moved over one chair and kept our son on the inside of us. I actually didn't panic as I just assumed from the moment we got there that everything inside was contaminated.
We avoided the ice cream shack as it was all open tubs BUT then the ice cream cart decided to park right next to the kiddie pool. Tears, tears and many cries for ice cream. So off the other concessions I went trying to hunt down anything at all he could have. Unfortunately the chip brand I'd never heard of and all the candy/chocolate items were off limits. A staff member named EMMA :thanksign over heard me and came to the rescue BIG TIME. She got my dilema as she is anaphylactic to pineapple herself. She couldn't find anything in the concession either that was safe but she had an idea. SHHH, I don't want to get her in trouble. She took me to the first aid room where they have freezies in case a child is hurt/lost. Would you believe it, KISKO, peanut, tree nut, egg, gluten, kosher, soy, dairy free!!!! I would have paid 20$ by this point but she gave it to our DS. THANK YOU EMMA!!!!
I emailed Calypso back today suggesting since they order them anyway for the first aid room would it be possible for them to sell them. Hopefully they do as it is safe from so many top allergens.

Anyway, it is absolutely worth going if you live close enough.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

We haven't been yet but I hear the traffic is crazy! Good idea to go early and wait for it to open.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:16 pm 

We pulled into the parking lot at around 9:20 and we parked right up by the front gates. I can't even explain how big the parking lot must be, I've never seen anything like it. When we left it was full as far out as you could see. If you arrive before 10am you still can pay your entrance fee and go into the park area where you can get a life jacket, rent lockers etc.. You just have to wait for them to open each of the gates which go directly into the park...that was insane. The gates opened and it was literally like out of every group there one person was designated the sprinter to race to 'claim' a picnic table. There are thousands around the park but you know how prime real estate works. :lol:
The wave pool has again probably 1000 deck chairs around it. DS lay down and fell asleep. We took his life jacket with us but you can get one there for free but with a 40$ deposit 100% returned to you with the return of the life jacket.
Lockers were 10$ rental with a 5$ return to you when you bring back the key. Parking was 5$, cash only.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish