You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:46 am 

Is anyone else in the same boat? We used to live really close to a Shoppers, so DH got all his prescriptions there, and he has to take a few different things, so the points have really added up. Now I'm realizing I can't use them to buy gift cards, prescriptions, bus passes, stamps, etc, and they make it so it's most beneficial to use a large number of points at once - you get the most bang for your buck by using say 75,000 points to get $150 worth of free stuff, but what in the world am I going to spend $150 on at shoppers drug mart at one time? There just aren't a lot of high priced goods there. I could probaby get three year's worth of shampoo and soap, or DH's razor blades, but I'm just trying to figure out what to get. Their website doesn't have an online shopping option to see exactly what products they have. . . . I'm not a big cosmetic/fragrance user, and like to buy organic / natural personal care products, of which they have some, but not a huge selection.

They are changing the points to free stuff ratio on July 1st, so I'm thinking I should just spend them, but on what? The flyer shows there is a netbook for $250, but I don't really need one. . . .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:43 am 

I'd buy a huge stock pile of Nice'n Easy.....the boy has left me with many a grey hair.
:rofl :rofl

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:17 am 
Site Admin

Wait until Christmas or some other holiday where you'll need to purchase items.
You can always donate your points but I don't know if you get a receipt for tax purposes...you should.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:41 am 

Susan that is a great idea....at Christmas would be a good time to use them also for teacher's gifts or magazines/books etc. for stocking stuffers.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:51 am 
Site Admin

$150 would buy a lot of tissues during alergy season! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:11 pm 

I have many points as well I have been waiting for Christmas season as they carry more big ticket items. Have been in need of replacing my "large" camcorder. I understand they bring in much more stock for that season (so I have been told). I agree I cannot think of anything else to buy there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:35 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
I'd buy a huge stock pile of Nice'n Easy.....the boy has left me with many a grey hair.
:rofl :rofl

Hahaha LOL!

Thanks for the suggestions to wait until Christmas time - good advice!

I buy specific products at specific stores, like recycled toilet paper and paper towels (which we don't use a lot of anyway and use kitchen rags instead) at Superstore, don't actually use tissues because we use cloths for wiping noses, etc. I will go to one of their bigger stores soon and check out their selection of natural personal care products, like soap and shampoo. Also, I may go the razor blade route - DH uses one/week and I think they cost quite a bit. Come to think of it, the ones he uses might be discontinued, so we'll have to look into an alternative.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:06 pm 

Don't forget about things like electric toothbrush, blow dryers, the card for cameras, they must have digital photo frames as well . I like frames like that for a grandma gift and fill it with photos. We got that for one grandma she loved it. I have been told that some locations carry more stock than others so when looking for certain items as I will be (camcorder) find out what location has the best stock.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:01 am 

We got a digital camera with our points.

But, they'd also be useful for any holiday decorations -- they have quite a selection at Halloween too (and that candy isn't cheap either).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:32 pm 

Thanks. Yes, our local ones doesn't have a photo/camera section, but the one downtown does. Our digital cam may need replacing soon. The battery works intermittantly, so if I want a reliable one, I use my 5yo DD's camera, which is better than ours!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:03 am 
Site Admin

I'm beginning to think that I should check how many points I have on my various membership cards!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:26 pm 

This is me :)
This is me after dealing with Shoppers :x :banghead
So I have been patiently waiting to use my points when the got some camcorders in stock. Every time I asked they said in Nov. for christmas. They finally came in only two models. I wanted the higher priced one of the two. (lots of points) So I found out they were going to have a use you points event last weekend. (found out a week ahead of time) When Sat. arrived went to the store that had a few boxes a couple days prior, they had none! Came home I must have called 25!! stores in the city all sorry we have none. :scratchy So I thought I would order one on line from thier web site. you can select items put them in a "cart" but cant buy as I guess this is only a shopping list. The office is also closed on the week end. SO i called on Monday, sat on hold for 40 min. before I talked to someone who basically said "I have heard this sort of thing before" If I could paraphrase for him "to bad so sad for you, better luck next time". Now they don't carry this item once christmas has past they only carry cameras, don't need one! Then Wed. was at the store and guess what was in the display case :x yup the camcorder. and no I will not pay full price for this camcorder because I don't think $229 for this model is a great value.
I guess I just keep holding on to the points. It should not be so hard to spend them, we don't all want purfume or makeup.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:05 am 
Site Admin

Makes you wonder if they took them off the shelves for the "Use your points" event. :x

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:37 am 

I used to work at a Shoppers (for 5 + years), and they definitely don't remove items from the shelves for points spend day. It really is an honest effort to reward people for collecting points. The extra points event is usually well-advertised, e-mails are sent out to collectors, and people are usually in to buy the big-ticket items within an hour of opening. That's probably why they were gone. Deliveries of replacement stock only comes 2 days per week (and for some holiday items ... only once in the entire season!), and each store is limited to only a few at a time, depending on the store's "potential" to sell the items. Our store was newer, and in a smaller city, so we often did not get flyer items even sent to us at all. It was frustrating for the customers, to say the least.

I never had problems spending my points ... and working there, I had lots! I don't buy perfume or makeup either. Cameras, video games, books, batteries - sometimes I would just buy tons of essentials (like toilet paper, cleaning supplies, basic medicines, toothbrushes, etc...) I know - BORING! I was just in there today, and they have lots of electronic stuff, toys, Christmas ornaments - I just don't have points anymore now that I work somewhere else :cry:

Believe it or not, fraud has been a HUGE problem with the points - organized crime is actually involved. We figured it out on a 20X the points day once, after the front cashier called me about a suspicious purchase. An employee ran out to the parking lot to get the licence plate and the guy aimed his car at her. Very scary. The gang unit from the nearby "big city" got involved, as the customer also happened to be buying ingredients for crystal meth. Teenage cashiers are an easy target. Not sure how they do it, exactly (I guess I don't have a criminal mind...) but that's why Shoppers inventory on electronics is so low.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:40 am 

How annoying, Paige. I ended up calling around to a few different stores in the summer and getting most of a wii, extra controller and wii resort sport paid for with our points.