You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:06 pm 

So, I just got back from a very lovely morning outing. I wish I had taken pictures.

Oh well, I think they'll be on the news and in the paper soon.

Michele
Advocate for Anaphylaxis Awareness in (all) Alberta Schools

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

:scratchy :freak :frightened :huggy

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:12 pm 

:rofl I was going to post the identical response as Susan but I wasn't sure if I was the only one to be a little :scratchy .

Alberta Advocate... :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Is it just me or are others curious about the pictures you've taken and why they'll be on the news?
:abduct

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:19 pm 

Oh, I'm sorry. I took my placard signs (one saying ANAPHYLAXIS LAWS NOT POLICY ADVISORIES-this is one of the ones that my kids and I took to the legislative building one day last spring,)
and the other with my cause , name & phone # - the same one I took to a public meeting after being ignored by the superintendent one time too many and introduced myself to her. Then I sat on a chair in the corner quietly) down the street to the Catholic School here in town. Anaphylaxis Canada was there with a few people from the Alberta Government as well as a lot of media. Actually, I rode my bike there and walked up and down the public sidewalk for a couple of hours. I met a few people and got the finger only once. Other than that it was a very wonderful morning.

I just don't know how to get everything together to post it here. But I'm learning. I was on Breakfast Television and interviewed by a radio station, plus those articles in the Edmonton Journal. If you saw me on Breakfast...on City tv you'll see why I'm not too fussy about throwing my picture around, I'm not very photogenic or well spoken, but that's not what this is about is it?

Michele Ford

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

You don't have to look like anything but what you are! You are a busy mom who has additional worries. Given the time it takes to grocery shop with visiting 3-4 stores and reading all those labels, I'd be surprised if you looked elegant.

Your passion will shine through and the focus should be on the message not your clothes. Do not appologise for being human. Those who choose to attack you will focus on half truths and mean comments about an allergy island. I don't think they'll pick on your hairdo. Those who support you could care less. :huggy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:38 pm 

Thanks- you sound like my DD. She says those who matter don't care and those who care don't matter. :thanksign

Michele

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

I always thought my mother was the most beautiful woman in the world and I still do!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:54 pm 

Forget doing our hair, it is a good day - as a mom - to get to go to the bathroom without the door barging open. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:32 pm 

Did I explain myself?

It was very nice to meet L. Harada.

I would have liked it if Evergreen Catholic School Division had invited parents from the area as well as Parkland School Division. I asked if M. Hauptman was there as I have spent lots of time on the phone with him and would have liked to have met him(he used to be with Alberta Education but is now with Evergreen Catholic School Division here in the Grove), but the guy that was out having a cigarette with the Alberta Government said he was in China.

Michele

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:47 pm 

So, since the other day, walking with my pro placards, (like Mother Teresa, I walk for things not against) @ the Catholic School and even though I 'm not catholic, I was still feeling a little guilty. Must be in my blood - my grandparents were french catholic. Anyway, while running around town, I noticed that the birds had made a very big mess at the front of one of their schools, so I came home, got gloves and a couple of big garbage bags and went and cleaned it up.

Now I feel better and I personally feel that's better than confession.

Michele

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:12 am 
Site Admin

You're awsome! :banana

BTW-That's a very Christian thing to do... :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:32 am 

Quote:
Parent Michele Ford, who has been lobbying for the province to mandate allergy and anaphylaxis training for educators, said such voluntary programs result in a patchwork of policies.

Ford, who stood Tuesday on the sidewalk outside St. Marguerite with signs calling for mandatory teacher-training in the subject, believes some schools and districts do not take the problem seriously enough.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/health/S ... z13NgfDHes

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:34 am 

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/18102010/75/ ... -bill.html

Quote:
Ford, 51, has made it a mission to ensure people around her daughter and other children are aware of the danger and how to respond to it. She has advocated on her behalf all through her school years, making sure her daughter's teachers and her principal were aware of Katherine's condition and knew what to do if she suffered an attack. But she says Alberta needs a law that ensures schools and all staff are aware of the dangers of a severe allergic attack and the correct response, since time is a critical factor in saving a child. The province is set to announce a new online teaching education program Tuesday, but Ford is worried it won't go nearly far enough. She wants training mandatory in schools.

Just thought I would help you with the cut and paste thing Michele :huggy What I wish is that that there was a picture of you riding your bike while carrying your signs. :rofl
Don't mess with allergy mom's, we are about as protective and determined a group as there can be.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:24 am 

Someone did take a pic, but I really don't know where all that stuff goes.

I just talk and try to take the fluff out of some peoples ears. Winnie the Pooh - A.A. Milne. One of my favourites.

I really tried the patience thing and I guess I have a hard time with that. I'm c & p'n this, but I don't know the legalities. It's from a while ago. So edit if you must.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grantneufeld/3520212358/

Michele