You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:02 pm 

We just got back from Hawaii where Dh insisted on bringing large duffle bags for our stuff. He had been going through his (now passed away) mom's stuff and gave her suitcases to the salvation army! Needless to say, it was a pain, and I'm now starting to look for what brand/type of wheeled suitcases to get. There is a huge range, like $100-$900 for the large size, and obviously quality fluctuates wildly as well.

Any recommendations? There are four of us, and we are probably going to Hawaii again at some point, considering Australia as well as Disney and Canada's east coast. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:55 am 

I love my Samsonite carry-on. So far it has lasted me about 10 years and looks brand new. I'd get Samsonite again if I had the money. For our larger luggage we have RBH and it has also been good to us for about 6 years. The RBH bags were about $150 each on sale. The wheels are good and have had no problems with them. I've had wheeled luggage with bad wheels that don't roll easily and it makes life rough!

Whatever you choose, test them out and find a sale!

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:18 pm 

If DH likes the duffle bag style I have purchased a large duffle bag with wheels from costco. We have been to Hawaii many times with this bag and regular wheeled luggage and I would have to say we prefer the duffle style. This one has more sections in it than our regular luggage as well. I find it lighter and it is also easer to spot it when it comes off the plane. Has been a few years since I bought it but I usually see them there (costco). Im sorry I don't remember the $ but I thought it was very reasonable.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:14 pm 

Thx Hiebs and Paige. Good suggestions!

It seems there are always a few types of luggage on sale at the department store, so getting a decent Samsonite would be a good option after checking out the wheels of course.

Yes, the wheeled duffles are something to consider as well, although I like the idea of pulling a large wheeled suitcase and being able to balance another bag on top while getting through the airport. . . Therefore no biggie if we can't get a cart. The ones in Vancouver are free, but many other cities' airports charge, like $4 in Honolulu! Sears had some on their website.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:18 am 
Site Admin

The Bay has Samsonite luggage on sale this weekend 60% off plue free shipping on orders over $49.00!
Just sayin'

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:32 pm 

Thanks Susan! I don't think I'm quite ready to take the plunge yet. . . still doing my preliminary research. . . . Thanks though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:18 pm 

Costco has some decent sets that are not too expensive. I would look for something sturdy but get the best value for your dollar. Good luggage gets treated the same way as cheap when it goes down through handling. It is wise to choose luggage that stands out, looks different so it is easier to spot. I have resorted to using bright coloured duct-tape on an old black suitcase that we wanted to check. No one had anything like it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:36 am 

Good point, Cathie. I'd hate to get uber nice expenive stuff only to get it trashed by handlers. I woud definitely wait for those great 50% off deals at department stores.