You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Anti-Bacterial products
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:06 am 

They sort of really give me the creeps, and I don't think they're good for us in the abundance that they are used. I mean, in hospitals, sure. But it seems like some folks are wiping down every surface every ten minutes with these things. Yikes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:59 am 

So why aren't they good? When I just prepared chicken or ground beef on the kitchen counter, I don't want salmonelle bacteria or ecoli.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:17 am 

Antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria alike. Good bacteria are needed to aid with digestion and for a healthy immune system. (This is why eating yogurt and Kefir is a good idea.) I know people who have had problems with yeast infections after taking lots of antibiotics. I've also read that recent studies suggest a link between the use of antibiotics and the development of allergies. When I was a child, I was on antibiotics constantly for a period of time. Every time I get a new dental hygenist, she asks me whether I was sick when I was young. My teeth are really messed up and apparently the use of antibiotics results in the loss of enamel when teeth are developing.

These health problems aside, the widespread use of antibiotics has caused the flourishing of superbugs which are immune to conventional treatments. If I have a cold and a minor respirator infection, I'd rather take a little longer to recover than to reach for the bottle of antibiotics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:29 am 

What Lisa said!

There is the text of a speech given about it here. Really interesting stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:22 am 

I just read an article that said antibacterial soap does not break down the way regular soap does, and residues can stay in the environment for ages. Since good old fashioned soap and water kill most things, I will no longer be buying antibacterial soap.

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:53 am 

That's great to hear!

I mean, that you did research and then made a decision.

It seems like a lot of people don't like to do that.

Post subject: Anti-Bacterial Products
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:37 pm 

If you are going to use the anti-bacterial hand sanitizer be careful to note the ingredients. I once found one with Almond Oil in it. Being allergic to almonds, I know I wont use it. Why does it need to be there any way.? They could use something more tolerable to everyone like glycerin for the moisturizing agents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:44 pm 

I've reacted to ATM touchpads and to pens used at cash registers because of customers and cashiers using hand sanitizers containing ingredients I'm allergic to.

Soap and water work most of the time. Bleach works well on cutting surfaces, as does air/exposure.

I don't have a problem with dirt.

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:08 pm 

I won't use anti-bacterial soap for my hands as they break out terribly and any one who has red rashy looking hands and thinks its winter and are using anti bacterial products in cleaners, soaps try not using and see that it clears up--for most people it does

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:27 pm 

I use natural soaps and cleaners, including an antibacterial soap - have used these products for seven years now and they are fantastic compared to the non-nautral ones. In our family, 5 of us are asthmatic/allergic so its gone through all of us with good results. If anyone's interested to know more, let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:41 am 

Does anyone else use natural shampoos likethis one? What were your experiences with it?