You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Home made donuts
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:14 pm 

Well today was a baking day. I tried a fortune cookie recipe from Parenting magazine and it was awful, threw those away. Made a batch of home made perogies ( :lol: ) then I decided to try something my grama used to always make for us, home made donuts. The recipe is actually MY great grama's recipe, tried and true over generations..the secret....mashed potatoes in the dough. Makes a soft, fluffy donut. YUMMMMM!! They worked perfectly, fried up well (didn't obosorb grease) and tasted amazing. We made some with glaze, some with glaze and then sprinkles and some I tossed in cinnamon/sugar. Of course after all the work to make them the kids went crazy for the donut holes...next time I might just make donut holes.

It was our son's first ever donut and the first our daughter has enjoyed in 3 yrs (not having to eat elsewhere and wash up afterwards).
:happydance :banana

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject: Re: Home made donuts
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:27 pm 

mmmm.... donuts.... would you be able to tell us your Grandma's recipe, or is it a secret??

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:09 pm 

I said they were good...didn't say they were healthy, passed down to me over 5 generations. The crazy thing is that if it wasn't for ds' allergies I never would bother to try new things or 'old' things (recipes). :D

Dough
1 cup mashed potatoes - (just potatoes, don't add any margarine or milk etc.)
1 tbsp. yeast
2 cups scalded milk (I used the microwave)
1/2 cup butter
2 large eggs well beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. nutmeg (or less if nutmeg isn't your favorite flavor)
pinch of salt
6 cups flour

*mix hot milk, potatoes and butter, sprinkle yeast on top and let sit 10 min.

This makes A LOT of donuts....but believe it or not (and I didn't until I witnessed my grama do this) she would freeze the dough, then thaw it out (NOT in the microwave) and once rolled out and fried again the batter would poof up and the donuts were just as amazing.
* mix in eggs, sugar, nutmeg, salt and flour until dough is soft but not sticky

Let rise 1 hour, knead then let rise again 1 hour

Glaze (is actually a very nice glaze)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
pinch of salt
drop of vanilla

*Bring to a boil, let cool then wisk in 3/4 cup icing sugar

Roll out dough on a floured surface, I have a donut 'cookie cutter' which basically is one circle with a smaller circle already inside it (first time I used it, was a gift from my grama), I've seen similar ones at Canadian tire etc.. Or use a circle cookie cutter and then maybe a shot glass for the center.
Heat oil in a pot, fry both sides until golden brown,
Dip in glaze or glaze and then sprinkles OR I used a cinnamon sugar mixture, put it in a tupperware and just tossed the donuts to coat.
Put on a wire rack so the glaze can drip off or the bottoms will get soggy.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Tue May 03, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:12 am 

Thank you! :D

I've made homemade donuts twice using my bread dough from the bread maker, and it was such a treat. But it's been a few years since I made them. I'm going to try your Grandma's recipe next time! And thanks for the glaze recipe too... I've wondered how they make these glazes. I don't bake very often, but next time I'm in the mood to bake, I'm going to try these out. Thanks again!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:57 am 

when I was a kid I didn't know you could buy doughnuts. :rofl about once a year my parents would make some...it was a joint effort.