You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: IEP questions
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:13 pm 

My son is in grade 7. He has an IEP. He has NOT been identified as having an exceptionality (no actual LD, not gifted). His last testing was done at the school when he was in grade 4. I had a conversation with the principal of his elementary school (who's opinion I respect wrt the IEP) and she said he would require an IEP all through middle school AND high school.

I had intended to book a meeting with the current principal, to arrange for testing to be done next year (grade 8 ). I don't trust this principal. a recent conversation about something else went really bad.....

will it be automatic for them to approach me about testing next year, or is it up to me to ask for it?

If the testing is not redone, does his IEP stay as is?

Can they just cancel it without testing? Can the principal convince the psychologist to not recommend one? (Let's just say......out of spite)

Last edited by AnnaMarie on Wed May 11, 2011 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: IEP questions
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:35 am 

Hi AnneMarie,
Legally an IEP has to be completed for LD and giftedness. IEPs are not required (according to the special education teacher at my school, for diagnosis of ADHD, ADD) I know with respect to my son, who has been diagnosed with an LD and with being gifted, his IEP will be in effect until grade 8 and he will be retested again before entering high school. For what reason does your son have an IEP?

I would get into contact with his Special Education teacher and ask all your questions.

Hope this helps,
boys' mom

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:02 am 

The psychologist that did the testing in elementary said there was no obvious learning disability "at this time". Initially (grade 2) she felt that there was probably an ld and it would manifest itself in a few years. Retesting in grade 4 again showed no ld. she still worded it "at this time" but verbally told me she didn't think he has an actual learning disability. He's an intelligent child (originally tested high enough for the gifted program) but was doing very bad in school. when his IEP was set up and followed his learning as well as his marks shot up. This year I'm getting lip service. he has an IEP, but they are not following it.

His IEP includes a computer and special computer programs that have followed him from grade 4. It took several requests from me before they finally got his computer into his classroom this year....that took until late February. :verymad

our recent conversation was about allergies. she misquoted Sabrina's Law to me and basically insinuated that I'm a bad parent. and I haven't even made the request I expect her to object too. before I do that, I need to find out who to talk to at the board so I have back-up. then, I started thinking about the IEP....retesting should be automatic for him, but I don't trust her. I'm afraid she'll cancel it and that would kill any chance of him making it through high school. I can't make requests until I know what is legally required....and I think with the IEP I'm going to lose.

as for the allergies.....I'll get all my ducks in a row first. then, my request will be sent in writing.

Home schooling is looking better and better.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:28 am 
Site Admin

I'm sorry you're having a hard time with this school. That's ridiculous that they would take so long to accomodate an IEP!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:50 am 

Pretend to accommodate is more accurate.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:54 am 

AnneMarie,

I'm shocked. If an IEP is in place that legally teachers need to follow it!

With regards to testing, did you consider getting him privately tested by a psychologist for an LD? I know at the school board I work for, there is a long waiting list for testing, so some kids aren't formally diagnosed. If you got him tested privately (and if you have benefits, they cover most of the cost) then you have legal documents that require the IEP be placed and followed.

Did the special ed teacher do preliminary tests on him at school, or did the actual board psychologist test him?

boys' mom

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:12 am 

He's been tested twice by a psychologist. He has some specific areas of need, but there is no diagnosable ld, but there are learning deficits. The psychologist made some very specific recommendations and an IEP was set up. Each year the IEP was rewritten. I had an opportunity to speak with his teacher, and we always discussed what changes either of us thought might benefit him. sometimes, they were written into the new IEP, sometimes they were more informal and temporary. This year, all three times his IEP has been "updated" it is word for word exactly the same....even with the same spelling errors....only the date gets changed.

I always thought he had an ld. But all they saw at school was a behavior problem. they wanted to test due to severe behavior issues. (If he had been older he likely would have been expelled, but they did take his age into consideration.) I was agreeable to the testing ONLY if they did full testing. As soon as the psychologists recommendations were being followed there was an immediate improvement in his behavior. within one school year, there was also improvement in his work and his work ethic.

each year, things have been a bit better. this year, his work ethic has plummeted. His actual work seems to not have changed a lot....yet. He's having some behavior issues, but nothing serious.....yet.

But, yes, he has had the full testing, including one part that I'm pretty sure was looking for ADD/ADHD. that part was only done the first time.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:08 am 

Hi AnneMarie,

I checked the Ministry of Education special education section and it stated that parents must be given a sheet to fill in if they were consulted in the development of the IEP. Were you given this form? As well it states that at 14 years of age an iep is prepared for transition to high school.

I think that there is no way the principal can refuse an iep at this point - since your son has had it for all these years. Check out the website - it goes into all the regulations for developing an iep.

boys' mom

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:22 am 

I've checked their site, but it always refers to ld's, gifted, etc. he has no "label". and yes, they do send the form home. I fill it in and return it every time.