You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:11 pm 

Hello all.

I recently joined this site/forum and I just want to say how great it is!!!

I joined for a number of reasons and one of them being sharing information with others.

I thought I was one of the rare ones who is allergic to bad food additives and preservatives, which a lot of people think I'm making it up, but I just got a PM earlier today where we are sharing our stories and advice for how to live with this type of allergy and its nice to know someone else is fighting the same battle.

Anyway, I won't cry on ya, just saying I'm glad I joined this forum and if anyone else wishes to Pm me about this strange allergy feel free as I also learn from other people's experiences.

:thanksign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:20 pm 

I agree! I love this forum too! It has been a lifesaver for our family. I am so grateful for all the helpful and caring people on this forum. We have guided one another, leaned on one another in times of stress, and provided so much positive support, I simply cannot imagine navigating this allergic life without everyone on this board!!

Regarding preservatives: I have a friend who will soon be seeing an allergist. She is completely baffled by her allergic reactions, and but she thinks the reactions may be from preservatives (or additives) as well. She now has an Epipen, but has dealt with swelling and throat issues (the throat issues were last last weekend). I will let you know if she finds this is the issue.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

:huggy We're glad you joined as well! I joined back in 2005 when it was just started and sometimes I go back and read my old posts from the vantage point that time and experience gives.

I'll tell you that there are days when you need support and there are days when you are able to give support! Both are important to help you fully realize how much you are capable of.

Experiencing an anaphylaxis reaction is horrible but, coming through successfully gives you confidence that you will recognize and respond appropriately. It can actually decrease the stress levels. If you are a parent of a child who hasn't had a reaction since they were very small, it can help the child to understand just how serious this condition is and help them to realize the importance of the family rules.

Each and everyone of us brings a new perspective, new coping strategies and is a potential source of information.

I love who supportive everyone is of each other. We have different comfort levels, come from different social/economic backgrounds and are situated all over the world, but have a common goal.
:thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:52 pm 

Quote:
I agree! I love this forum too! It has been a lifesaver for our family. I am so grateful for all the helpful and caring people on this forum. We have guided one another, leaned on one another in times of stress, and provided so much positive support, I simply cannot imagine navigating this allergic life without everyone on this board!!
:thumbsup :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

...and we like our emoticoms!
:happydance :banana

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:11 am 

I have laughed and cried when on this forum; I have given and received support and knowledge and most of all I have found others who relate to the challenges in our life managing food allergies!

When I joined 3 years ago I knew about epi-pens and the basics of food allergies whereas now I know how to live with my daughter's allergies and most importantly, to teach her how to deal with them rather than fear them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:18 pm 

Quote:
I have laughed and cried when on this forum; I have given and received support and knowledge and most of all I have found others who relate to the challenges in our life managing food allergies!

When I joined 3 years ago I knew about epi-pens and the basics of food allergies whereas now I know how to live with my daughter's allergies and most importantly, to teach her how to deal with them rather than fear them

WELL put Walooet....I ditto your wonderful statement. :huggy :huggy :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:40 pm 

Me too. :huggy

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy