You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:17 pm 

As I prepare lunch notes for tomorrow's packed lunch, I realised something....

How happy am I that DD - despite the allergies and asthma - has become avid - about mountaineering.

(some hiking, camping experience but...)

She's busy researching and has a personal life goal of the 7 peaks on 7 continents.

Whether this is something she ever realises or not - it is so nice to see the aspiration and clearly envisioning the possibilities despite the challenges.

I knew this would be my limited community to 'get' just what this means to me!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:17 am 
Site Admin

:huggy It is so good to hear that she does not let her allergies define her!
Safe foods and auto injectors are simply additional safety items just like her carbiner clips and safety harness.
A big part of this is because she has parents who support her to believe that she is entitled to live fully and completely. You did an amazing job in raising her!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:46 am 

This is so reassuring to read.
A friend of mine has just waved her daughter off on a trip around Europe and, as her daughter has nuts allergies, she's obviously worried about food. But her daughter is confident she can handle it and the fact that she has this confidence is testament to her upbringing I feel.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:56 am 

Absolutely get it! It shows you have done a great job of teaching your child that they can do whatever they want with just some extra planning.

My daughter is also a traveller and successfully travelled to Europe this year which gave her added satisfaction of a reaction-free trip! The older she gets, the more she takes it in stride. For her 15 hour travel day she had to take all of her own food.

My stress level is definitely higher when she travels but somehow each trip that gets easier.

Congratulations to your daughter for taking on such an admirable challenge!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:30 pm 

It is still aspirational for us!...

She's still young and not doing this (yet) but we have taken great strides this summer (including camping in provincial parks - first time ever out of our "stay within 30 minutes of EMS response/hospital")
Just the fact that she is considering it, is avid about researching and is planning a life that isn't controlled by fear is our happiness -- the fact that she doesn't feel she needs to limit her dreams and goals feels like a big win

(it will completely be OUR parental stress if she acts as adventurous as she is planning! but we will cross that bridge should that day arrive)

Still, we HAVE gone from a child who needed to be arm's length for comfort to one who is considering making an "unaccompanied minor" trip from Ontario to California to visit a friend (a trusted family who have demonstrated "getting it" for a few years now)

Thanks for the encouragement everyone :)