You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:26 am 

I posted this question in passing as part of comments in the introduction section, but thought I would post here where all the people who are-nut allergic may be more likely to see it. I am allergic to nuts and fresh fruit and believe my fruit allergies are oral allergy syndrome as I also have seasonal allergies to pollens. I have not had a severe reaction for almost 20 years and the worst reaction I had was tightening throughout my bronchial tubes which was relieved with Benadryl. I am wondering if a reaction to nuts as part of oral allergy syndrome would be less severe than one to a person who is anaphylactic. Can they be different, or are all nut allergies anaphylactic? I realize that every reaction can be different than the last and I never let my guard down and I carry epi-pens. However a couple of years ago, I accidently ate something with almonds and all that really happened was a panic attack I believe. (Tingly fingers, around lips due to hyperventilation.) Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:09 am 

I have a thought on the fruit reactions. Sometimes I react to peaches, but not every time. I think I react to peaches with a broken pit. One of my favorite sites for weighing the risks before eating something is:

http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/Articles/b ... ood_Family

"Plum: Almond, Apricot, Cherry, Nectarine, Peach, Plum, Prune Plum"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:53 am 

soccermom wrote:
I am wondering if a reaction to nuts as part of oral allergy syndrome would be less severe than one to a person who is anaphylactic. Can they be different, or are all nut allergies anaphylactic?

As far as I know, if your reaction to nuts is because of oral allergy syndrome you would not be reacting to the protein but to compounds in the nuts that are similar to the pollens you are allergic to. I would *guess* that a reaction to nuts involving only oral allergy syndrome would be less of a concern. But if you are reacting to the protein, one day you might have a "mild" reaction and the next you might go into anaphylaxic shock. Has your allergist confirmed that your reaction to nuts is oral allergy syndrome? This is something I would check out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:14 pm 

I react to walnuts very lightly--it's not an allery in my case, it's the tannic acid. Red wines bother me, too. Neither case is OAS, either--just the tannins.

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:41 am 

ygg,

What is your reaction like? Did you have allergy testing done and what did your doctor say about it? Thanks!

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:32 pm 

Walnuts and red wine make my mouth feel very dry and my palate itches. Sometimes my throat does, too. It's not at all like my IgE mediated food allergies (hives; itching, swelling of the palate, lips, tongue, throat; airway distress; eczema, etc).

I can't remember if I've had testing for walnuts. I probably have and I'm sure it turned up negative (I'd remember otherwise).

ygg

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:30 pm 

Totally disregard my previous post in this section! It turns out that I didn't know what I was talking about. 1) The "compounds" in nuts and fruits that resemble pollens are actually proteins. 2) Oral allergy syndrome can cause anaphylaxis, especially in people who react to nuts.

Post subject: Tannic Acid
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:57 pm 

I dont know if it is true, yet once I was told that 'Tea" has Tannic Acid, as well.?

Post subject: Oral Allergy Syndrome
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:16 pm 

A helpful resource for Oral Allergy Syndrome is available on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency website:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/concen/tipcon/orale.shtml

The list of foods that may trigger a reaction for the various pollen allergies may be useful. Note that those allergic to birch trees may also react to hazelnut, walnut, and almond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:27 pm 

Thanks Lance - I've always found that page to be very helpful and often point people to it.

K.