You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:03 pm 

Hello, I am finding this ingredient in lots if my skin care products. Does anyone know if this is a true nut ? If so have you heard of anyone that is allergic to it ?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:22 pm 

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_haze ... ringent%29
Quote:

Witch hazel is an astringent produced from the leaves and bark of the North American Witch Hazel shrub (Hamamelis virginiana) ...

Witch hazel is mainly used externally on sores, bruises and swelling. The main constituents of the extract include tannin, gallic acid, catechins, proanthocyanins, flavonoids (kaempferol, quercetin), essential oil (carvacrol, eugenol, hexenol), choline, saponins, and bitters. ...

Witch hazel hydrosol is used in skincare. It is a strong anti-oxidant and astringent, which makes it very useful in fighting acne.[1] It has been recommended for psoriasis, eczema, aftershave applications, cracked or blistered skin, for treating insect bites, poison ivy, and as the treatment of choice for varicose veins and hemorrhoids. ...

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_hazel_%28shrub%29

K.

Post subject: Witch hazel is it a nut?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:10 pm 

Thankyou. That was very helpful. I have looked it up and they say it was related to the Hazel nut. So I got a little confused. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:42 am 

Is it possible to be allergic to witch hazel. I read it is a seed and it is the oil used in products. I just bought a different brand of diaper cream, after using it I removed a bandaid from each of our son's arms...both from injections this week so the needle site is still relatively open. All of a sudden our son had a red rash and hives on his bum, on his ear, in his ear, on his shoulde, a couple spots on his stomach. He'd gotten some on his fingers and smeared it which is why it was on his ear etc.. Both injection sites where I removed the bandaids also got a red rash and hives.?????????????????????

This is the only ingredient I see which could have an oil or a seed present.
Help Please!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:04 am 
Site Admin

Allergic reaction to it is considered rare – from what I've seen.

But it is possible, and I see one study about it - but not even the abstract is online. That means: uncommon.

It's probably not to do with seeds or oils as such, but more to do with the fact that it's a plant. I can't keep track of the number of ingredients that cause me to react - but I'm allergic to the plant itself (or in many cases the fragrance).

Not terribly illuminating, but WebMD says of witch hazel:

Quote:
A very serious allergic reaction to this product is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:20 am 
Site Admin

That cautionary statement could be put on just about anything.

It's important to remember that one can be allergic to just about anything (even water). If you experience a reaction to a specific product (sometimes it's hard to know whatyou're reacting to), avoid the item and discuss it with your allergist.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb