You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Reading Test Results
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:47 pm 

I finally got my blood test results back on my first ever allergy test. By i got my results back, i got a letter from my allergist. I was hoping for a phone call but I'll take what i can get.

The letter consists of a bunch of nuts with some numbers by them and then a "congratulations, you have allergies" message.
Well...i've figured out that the higher the number the more allergic i am to it. But..what are all these numbers out of? How high can it get? Is there like a "your allergy will kill you" number? It looks like if the number is over 0.40 or 0.45 it is considered positive but i know it goes over 1.0 and 10.0 for that matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:40 am 
Site Admin

What?! These results need to be interpreted by an allergist. :shock:

Where is the consultation to follow up the results with a clear plan how to procede based on the information? What is the severity of the allergen? Are you at risk of an anaphylaxis reaction? Do you need an auto-injector? What are the identifying factors for you to seek treatment? Is this an allergy that responds well to a treatment of allergy shots? Do you need a note from your Dr stating your allergies so that you can fly with your auto-injector?

I suggest you take you results to another allergist if possible.

Wow, just wow...

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:36 pm 

I must admit, i'm not to thrilled with my allergist. Even when i went in for my appointment they were not very friendly. To give them credit they did have some information in the letter but nothing...specific.
Like um...they should carry around and epi pen for nut allergies and wear a alert bracelet. Bring an inhaler with you and some tips like that. But as the nuts tested from 0.29 to 13.00 or something i'm...presuming some of them i can get away with eating (yes, yes as long as i'm sure they are not cross contaminated). I mean coconut was around 3. something and i know i can detect it at that stage. But sesame seeds? at like 1.2 i've never noticed.

I've looked for different allergist but have had no luck. I received a referal to this one from my doctor who has quit since then so...i'm lost...maybe i'll call him.

I really just want to know what i can get away with eating, what levels need a pen and what levels need a pen and a trip to the doctor.