You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:08 pm 

:D I am thrilled to report my son's food challenge on almond today was a success. He passed and now may eat it with supervision. One less thing to worry about. Peanut gone, almond gone...we are on a roll. :D

The allergist will see us again in a week in office to repeat skin tests for tree nuts so we can get a current indicator of his reactions to the different tree nuts. Then he will compare both RAST and skin tests to determine which nut we should test next. Initally we had another five challenges booked but the doc seems to think we should start challenging him at home. :shock: I am very nervous about it and told him perhaps we could challenge the highest tree nut at hospital and then we may consider doing it at home. He said to do it at hospital is a very lengthy process since he only does them once a month and there are ten tree nuts. He feels if we do it at home it will be much faster. He highest RAST result was something like .90 and i believe it was for hazelnut, but the most positive skin test was for pistachio and the RAST for that was <.35 which would make it negative. :? . It's so confusing. Oh well, we are taking baby steps in the right direction and are blessed to have had positive experiences for both the challenges thus far. Wish us luck.

Suzanne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:59 am 
Site Admin

Suzanne, I'm so happy for you and your son! Just in time for Valentines Day and Easter, too!

I'm not sure what to think about home challenges ...scary!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:22 am 

[quote="_Susan_"]Suzanne, I'm so happy for you and your son! Just in time for Valentines Day and Easter, too!

I'm not sure what to think about home challenges ...scary![/quote]

Scary is right! My husband is all go for the home challenges and i'm not. We will have to work out a middle ground on this one I think. My son was so thrilled to go to school today to tell his friends about the good news.
Suz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:39 pm 

Great news Suzanne! How old is your son? It's so nice to hear that a child is outgrowing their food allergies - it offers hope to others!

Julie

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:14 pm 

Hi Julie,

Yes, good news indeed. :D I just got back from the grocery store and bought a few more things for my son, that contained almonds and peanuts. I tell you I just about burst out crying as i was walking to the register. I'm just so happy that my son's 'food world' is opening up for him. When i looked into the grocery cart i couldn't believe those things were for my son. I gave up hope that we would ever see this day and here it is. He is ten years old, and we have known about his food allergies since he was around two years old. It really is like a re birth of sorts. He is experiencing eating things he only dreamed he could. I bought him some honey nut cheerios today, so i'm sure he';ll be thrilled. That was one of those cereals he always wanted to try.
I just pray that this positive rhythm we are on continues until we have eliminated all the tree nuts. That day would be the biggest celebration. We have already stated that if he is cleared of them all we are booking a tropical vacation to celebrate. :D

Suz