You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:47 am 

We have 2 huge butternut trees in our backyard which drop their nuts at this time of year. The nuts are also known as white walnuts and the nuts are covered in a thick green rind/husk. My son has tree nut alleges and my husband plays a game with the kids were they collect the nuts in buckets and he gives them pennies. I told him I didn't think my son should be touching the nuts. Any suggestions?
Thanks!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:20 pm 

Hellow sdebona, and welcome to the forum! It can be difficult to determine the safety of this. How old is your son? Would he be likely to put his fingers in his mouth? If so, it's probably best to wait to play this game until he is older, and understands the need for safety . Some people have contact reactions, and need to avoid handling their allergens. Our son, for example, does NOT have contact reactions; however, we avoid, as much as possible, him having contact with his allergens, but we have not had to be that concerned with it unless he is putting his hands in his mouth or eating. If we are in the park, or at our daughter's softball games where sunflower seeds are everywhere (one of his allergens), as long as he doesn't eat or put his hands in his mouth, he has been able to tolerate contact exposure. As soon as we leave, we make sure he washes his hands (if there is a washroom), or at a minimum, we use a wipe to remove the residue. By the way, since I see that you've newly joined our chat, just wanted to mention information we've shared on this forum regarding hand cleaning for the food allergic: hand washing is most important to remove any allergens you may have come in contact with. Hand santizier is NOT sufficient to remove food. Hand sanitizer kills germs, but not food. A physical wipe or handwashing is required.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hello sdebona and welcome! Your question reminds me of a question asked some time back.

Quote:
Q My son has severe allergy to tree nuts and peanuts. He is taking a woodworking shop and the teacher questions if he should be working around walnut wood or other woods. He has never reacted from fumes of nuts. (Also, the current shop has a new ventilation system.)

Dr. Waserman: The question of whether the woods of nut trees are a risk for those with nut allergy comes up frequently. In the case of peanut or tree nut allergy, the proteins which are responsible for the allergic reaction are concentrated in the nuts themselves, with only very small amounts elsewhere in the plant. Reactions generally take place after shelling a nut or eating it.
Reactions to various woods have not been reported, so are probably rare. Your son should be able to participate in a woodworking shop safely. The fact that the shop is well-ventilated is wise additional protection, as is having an epinephrine auto-injector on hand.
http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... ists-pt-1/

So you see, it is a concern but the risk might not be as much as it your son was touching the nut meat itself. Definately bring this up with your allergist but in the mean time, if your son is old enough, I would suggest he be given dedicated salad tongs and get in on the action!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:26 am 

Thank you for your replies. My son is 4 1/2 years old and does understand not to put the butternuts in his mouth. I have not noticed any contact allergies from touching the butternuts. I love the idea of giving him tongs to play the game. Also thanks for the hand washing advice.

I am new to the forum and did not check the box to be notified when I got a reply. Now it is checked.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:54 am 
Site Admin

:thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb