You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:11 pm 

I have been wondering if the Peanut free symbol also means tree nut free. I have been finding it is easy to find the peanut symbol but I have never seen a tree nut symbol. Is there one? :scratchy
thanks

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:12 pm 

It's very confusing, often the fine print (like on Dare packages) will print 'manufactured in a peanut & tree nut free factory', but they use the peanut symbol. I wouldn't assume it's safe though, Blue Diamond Almonds puts the peanut free symbol on some of their packages.

I never trust any product until I call customer service.

It would be great if there was a symbol for each.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:43 pm 

I agree that I never assume the Peanut free symbol means tree nut free. However, I do find that many products that label for Peanut Free have good labelling and list May Contains and not often tree nuts on them. I do get excited when I see Made in a Peanut and Tree Nut Free facility :banana :happydance :banana

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:21 am 

According to the Certified Allergen Control website, almond is the only nut that can be tested for in a product. a company can have a facility that does not produce anything with other nuts, but they cannot test the raw ingredients or the final product. I think that's why they don't use a nut free symbol.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:29 am 

AnnaMarie - thanks for the info - never heard of the Allergen Control website and definitely didn't know that almond was the only nut they could test for in products.

To me, I think of an Allergen Free product to be when the company also requires that staff do not eat the allergen on site and as is the case with one company, they wear a full cover (can't think of the word) over their clothing - perhaps a jumpsuit.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:35 pm 

to be truly free of an allergen they also get letters from the suppliers of the ingredients verifying that the ingredients are free of the allergen, and they should also be testing the product. Some places test the ingredients AND the end product.

You should google Certified Allergen Control and see some of the products that have that label. they aren't all free of the same ingredients, some are free of peanuts, others milk, I think there are about 6 or 8 allergens they label for. I'd post a link, but from my iPad often links don't work and people end up on weird pages...once it was a page about Justin Beiber. :scratchy so googling is probably better.

I would love to see the CAC label become the norm across the country. Currently it's voluntary, and to use the label companies must conform to what is required. Then, they put this CAC symbol on the box, with a picture of which allergens it is certified free of.

Edited to add: I think I may need to turn off autocorrect. it "corrected" suppliers to diplomats and it corrected peanuts to oranges. :rofl

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:51 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
Edited to add: I think I may need to turn off autocorrect. it "corrected" suppliers to diplomats and it corrected peanuts to oranges. :rofl

:rofl My dh's boss sent him a message and at the end he said "adios", but it came as "love you"....too funny, especially with all the teasing I do about their "bromance".

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:53 pm 

http://www.certification-allergies.com/ ... hp?lang=en I never heard of this before....interesting.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:30 pm 

I too never assume peanut free is inclusive of tree nut free. I've even seen products with a clear peanut free logo that in the ingredients say contain tree nuts. The labeling is correct but to many this could be overlooked and fed to a pn/tn allergic person by accident.

I always phone first if I'm not sure. Luckily almost all pn free goods are in fact tn free or as mentioned before their labeling is good and there will be a may contain.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:11 pm 

Alberta A. Thank you for posting the link. I recommend looking through the products, but if you pick a product (like cookies) make sure you don't limit by store...select all stores...or alternatively, pick a store and all products.

We actually found some safe foods through the website, then managed to find them in the grocery store.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:27 pm 

Thanks for the resource Alberta! Question though... Why is the site list of products in French :scratchy I was on the english site... :dungetit

I guess what you all are saying is read the label and don't rely on symbols :?

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:03 pm 

Sarah388 wrote:
I guess what you all are saying is read the label and don't rely on symbols :?

Yes, I would agree with that. The symbol is a start but not a given for tree nuts. And with the certified allergen symbol they only test for almonds so if allergic to other tree nuts it looks like their symbol would not help.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:26 pm 

I've seen an almond symbol with a cross through it (might be Selectum ice cream) but as we are not interested in peanut free, we always look to the ingredient labelling. I actually wish the peanut free symbol did not exist as there is so much deviation on whether it is peanut free/ peanut - nut free/ nut - peanut free...I wish it meant something in particular....

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:35 am 

Thank you Anne Marie for the information regarding testing for tree nut. I emailed Laura Secord when I saw the peanut free symbol on some small Valentine chocolates to ask if these were also free of tree nuts. I was confused when the reply said there was no certification for tree nuts like there is for peanuts. Your message helps this make sense now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:46 pm 

Cathie wrote:
Thank you Anne Marie for the information regarding testing for tree nut. I emailed Laura Secord when I saw the peanut free symbol on some small Valentine chocolates to ask if these were also free of tree nuts. I was confused when the reply said there was no certification for tree nuts like there is for peanuts. Your message helps this make sense now.

Although they cannot certify it to be free of tree nuts did Laura Secord say if there are tree nuts in the facility??