You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:52 pm 

Hi All, new user here, and hoping I can glean some advice.
DD has severe allergies to 5 tree nuts. We have practiced strict avoidance of all tree nuts, as well as peanuts (to avoid cross contamination) for 9 years. Recent re-testing indicates possibility of re-introducing several items to expand her safe selections. We are having a LOT of difficulty finding safe, non-cross-contaminated foods to use in the challenges. Do you have any ideas for where we can locate the following?:
* peanuts (no contamination at any level with ANY tree nuts)
* almonds (no contamination at any level with any OTHER tree nuts or peanuts)
* pine nuts (no contamination at any level with any OTHER tree nuts or peanuts)
* macadamia nuts (no contamination at any level with any OTHER tree nuts or peanuts)
* sesame seeds - toasted (no contamination at any level with any OTHER tree nuts or peanuts).

If we are unable to safely isolate these five items, we will likely see reactions, but won't be able to determine the culprit ... the challenged item, or the item with which it was cross-contaminated!

Thanks for your help!
~ M U

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hi MU, Welcome!

In my role at the magazine and as an allergic person, I'm far better at avoiding that list - but I follow why you need.

One suggestion re almonds. Would an almond butter do? I know there are a couple around such as this one made in a peanut-free facility: http://www.barneybutter.com/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:02 am 

We just went through a similar search. Are you in Canada? USA?

Wonderful Almonds and Wonderful Pistachios --- they are made in separate facilities and it is the only nut manufactured in each facility. The company sent me a great email with details within a few days of my sending my questions. I have seen them at Sobey's, Superstore and Safeway.

If in Canada, we have used the peanuts in the shell at Superstore in their produce section in a yellow bag. Those are the only peanuts we found that are not cross contaminated with tree nuts. We never found any already shelled peanuts that were safe.

We also use sesame seeds purchased at Superstore in a yellow bag --- we only looked for items without tree nuts so no idea about peanuts.

Both Sobeys and Superstore were very good when I emailed them a chart of items and they let me know which ones were not cross contaminated with other nuts.

My daughter is down to likely just hazelnuts and it really opens up a lot of options when not worrying about all of the tree nuts! Good luck to you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:03 am 

For a peanut oral challenge could peanut butter be used?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:50 pm 

gwentheeditor,
Thank you!!! We just placed an order for Barney Butter. The company responded promptly to a request for more information. They DO only have almonds at this time - YaHoo! Your advice is GREATLY appreciated!

walooet,
We are in the USA. I tried sending an inquiry email to Wonderful Almonds, but it bounced back several times. I admit to nervousness about them because their address is in India, though they use California almonds. I wonder about their manufacturing processes and how they label their products as related to the USA? Given that the (almond) Barney Butter is USA based and able to provide me with all my necessary reassurances, I think I'll go that route first, but thank you for your suggestion!
Also, thanks for considering the peanuts versus peanut butter idea. I found one jar, "Better'n Peanut Butter", at a local store, and have sent an inquiry to them regarding their processes. All other peanuts and peanut butters at that store had interactions with tree nuts. I'll keep looking ...
ADDENDUM: I just heard from Better'n Peanut Butter -- that produce line is NOT SAFE for those with tree nut allergies. This was their response: "M; sorry but our factory does run some tree nuts from time to time. so not suitable for your trials. WONDER NATURAL FOODS". (I asked them to consider changing their labeling :O) )

I so appreciate the help! Thank you!
~ MU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:51 pm 

The email that I used for Wonderful farms was:

consumercare@paramountfarms.com