You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: coffee
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:47 pm 

I have a question for all those coffee drinkers who are nut allergic, are there any brands that you feel safe drinking.

Does anyone know Illy's policy on cross contamination? How about Gimmie Coffee?

How about any Montreal cafe's that are fine to sip from???

Thanks
TMcG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:11 pm 

I am definitely a Tim Horton fanatic. :P We buy the tins for our coffee maker. They do not guarantee it's safe. I weigh the odds - and for me, I feel comfortable buying it.

I do not drink flavoured coffee very often, and when I do, I usually buy the Nestle stir-in type.

I know there are nut-flavoured coffee (hazelnut for example) at some coffee shops - CoffeeTime maybe. I did stop in once and ask about it - they add a spoon of hazelnut flavour to a cup of coffee and stir. I was told that if I asked them to use a fresh spoon to stir my coffee (due to allergies) they would.

I have never checked out any fancy coffee shops. They make me nervous, so I just avoid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:02 pm 

I received the cutest response from Gimmie Coffee today...

Our coffee is safe. We don’t have a flavored coffee program...I don’t know how else any of our products would ever be exposed to nuts...unless you are concerned because we refer to ourselves as “coffee nuts”-- we only mean that we are fanatics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:12 pm 

Yesterday I was surprised to learn that all flavors of liquid coffee mate ( nestle ) are peanut/nut free including the hazelnut flavor! My daughters teacher wondered if they were appropriate at their "nut free" school. And yes they are fine, the flavor is artificial. Maybe the shops that have nut flavored coffee additives use artificial flavoring as well...then their is no cross-contamination issues.

At superstore they have a coffee grinder for their fancy coffees which includes, I believe, real hazelnut flavored coffee (they have an allergy warning on the grinder), so not all nut flavored coffee is arftificial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:29 pm 

I do translation work for a major specialty coffee retailer and I would caution that their coffees are NOT safe. (Unfortunately, because their coffee is exceptional!) They sell an almond flavoured coffee and when you look at the beans, they are mixed with slivers of almonds.

I don't know if the hazelnut and butter pecan flavours are artificial or not. They do have a dedicated grinder for their flavoured coffees only but, you never know, someone might put flavoured coffee in the regular grinder by mistake, not to mention cross-contamination from the bins where the coffee beans are stored once the vacuum packs they come in are opened.

And of course, like most coffee stores, they sell baked goods that are definitely not nut free... :cry:

Post subject: Starbucks?
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:43 pm 

What about Starbucks drinks? Anyone have any ideas on these? I would never eat the food there because I know there could be cross-contamination (peanut allergy) but would be interested in hot chocolates and coffees and summer frozen drinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:02 pm 

Joelle, the company I work for is not Starbucks, so I would definitely either phone them, visit their website (make sure it's the Canadian one, as they may use different suppliers) and ask about all their ingredients. I don't know if they make almond or hazelnut flavoured coffees. Coffee companies also use flavoured syrups in their drinks and you need to ask about those as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:01 pm 

It seems like any coffee I drink, even the smallest sip, causes me to have asthma problems and eczema and hives. It's probably the tree nuts. :/

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:14 pm 

Shai, Have you been tested for coffee allergy? (my allergist routinely tests for coffee so I know it is one of those tests that are available). I have issues with coffee too. I always thought that I reacted slightly....but when I started drinking it every day it started bothering my throat for sure. I'm now an avid green tea drinker. Tea is the closest I can get to a mind-altering drug :) (alcohol is out too for me.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:53 pm 

Actually, it's funny you mention that because I asked the girla t the office today to use some of my blood on stock there to test for coffee. So I guess I should know next week.
I've been drinking lots of tea recently too. That and Benadryl are my only poisons as well. :)

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:45 pm 

Oh yeah. I forgot about Benadryl. definitely a mind-altering drug!