You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: DOVE Soap/Beauty Bar
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:40 pm 

Recently I called Unilver(1-800-761-3683) and was told that DOVE 'Sensitive Skin and DOVE for BABY' contain Sweet Almond Oil . It was explained that due to the smell of chemicals used in producing the soap products, Sweet Almond Oil is used to cover the smell as well as it has quite good emolient properties tolerated by babys and most people. I was also informed that all DOVE Bars are made with coconut oil. Also for people wanting to try their new beauty products, call and check with them 1st, prior to using. In my case the person I spoke with told me to not use any DOVE products at all. I would guess that it depends on how ana. sensitive you are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:52 pm 

Unbelieveable! I just bought a large package of bars. Why is this not labelled? When will cosmetic items be properly labelled? Thank you for letting me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:12 pm 

That definitely should be labelled! Thanks for the heads up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:47 pm 

I have always used unscented baby dove on both girls. My girls have always had problem skin, my oldest has outgrown the majority of her eczema but my youngest is itchy all the time and I have been struggling to pinpoint what is going on. I phoned dove today, and yes the product we use contains almond oil. :evil: :evil: :evil: My understanding of the word "hypoallergneic" meant free of major allergens. I was told their definition of "hypoallergenic" is that it does not clog pores etc. I told them that allergists, pediatricians recommend avoiding exposure to all nuts in all children regardless of family history until age 3, they were unaware of this. Why is nut oil hidden in "unscented, hypoallergenic, pediatrician recommended baby wash"? It is only in the unscented, sensitive skin products and are being used by those who have skin sensitivities and children with eczema and at a higher risk for developing allergies. :evil: :evil: I plan on going to the store tonight to pick up some aveno.

Thank you so much monty, you may have solved my daughters itchy skin nightmare. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:53 pm 

Oh, Good Heavens!

Monty Thanks for posting this about Dove. I had just purchased the Dove Body wash for my Mom to use while she was visiting. It's going out the door. I AM ALLERGIC TO ALMONDS! Can they not keep nuts out of anything? I just hate the all natural proucts. Those are usually the worst offenders! Nothing natural to me about nuts being in my soap!

And saskmommyof2, yes, hypoallergenic in cosmetics means for skin, not for allergies as the name implies. You can imagine some of the looks I get at the beauty counter when I try to explain about my allergies to the beauty reps. Just let me read the label! I don't care if it says "hypoallergenic." Uggh!

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:52 pm 

Unbelievable! Thankfully, our allergic son does not use this product, but my daughter without allergies and I DO use Dove - both the body wash and the Dove bars!! There's no way I want anything in our house with our son's allergens, so we won't be buying this anymore!

Saskmommy, when you try the Aveeno oil, we use it like a body wash - it's a very thin liquid. When we bathe our 4 yr old son, we squirt it in our hand, and then clean our son's body with it as if it's like a liquid soap (although, you will definitely find the oil is thinner than the soap). When we wash his hair with it, we only use a few drops (2-4 drops) because if we use more, his hair is clean but very oily!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:53 pm 

So we used the aveeno today. My daughter has always scratched while in the bathtub. I always assumed the water made her eczema itchy. Today, for the first time ever, my daughter DID NOT scratch while in the tub. I am so annoyed that our soap that was recommended by our family doctor and allergist contains treenuts. It is safe to assume then that she is allergic to almonds (she was still strictly avoiding ingestion and contact , or so I thought).

Thank you so much Julie and Monty!!! :D I thought our itchy skin nightmare was just a fact of life and a medical condition we seemed to have no control over. I am so happy!!! While in the tub this morning my youngest said " I am not itchy". I had to fight back my tears of joy. After the bath, she is NOT scratching and feels soft and moisturized.

I phoned my allergist to inform him of this...he must not realize since he recommends dove on his eczema care instructions. We also have yearly checkups this afternoon for the girls with their family doctor...I can't wait to share the news with him that the eczema is getting better, and caution him against recommending it to anyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:35 pm 

saskmommy
Hooray! So glad she is better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:46 pm 

Saskmommy, I am SOOOO happy for you and your children!! :D What a relief. I'm so happy the Aveeno has provided this relief (and not using something that even FURTHER irritates her skin!) I remember feeling such relief when our son's skin was so obviously comfortable for him. One of his doctor's (I forget which one) recommended the Aveeno oil for his skin and hair, and we've been using it for a few years now. Last summer I tried a bit of soap and shampoo to see if he might be okay with it by then (mind you, it was probably the DOVE baby wash!!), and he was right back to the itchy skin, so we have never used anything but the Aveeno. Why change something that works so well?! Your daughter is going to get the best sleep tonight - and so will you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:44 pm 

Julie, I bought the aveeno baby body and hair wash to use for hand washing at the sink. What product do you use on your son for handwashing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:57 pm 

Saskmommy, Our son's hands don't seem as sensitive (except for his wrists), so we've been able to get away with using liquid handsoaps. I've been using "Exact" hand soap - available at Loblaws and Superstore. But he uses various hand soaps when we're out and when he's at school, and he's been fine. But one thing he reacts to are those antibacterial washes found in doctor's offices and hospitals. We never let him use them anymore. But, with having food allergies, his hands are kept very clean, so I don't think it's a problem.

Post subject: St. Ives Apricot Scrub
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:40 pm 

It contains 'ground Walnuts'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:50 pm 

Monty, Are you saying the handwashes at the hospital contain "ground walnuts"??

Post subject: St. Ives Apricot Scrub
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:07 pm 

Im am saying that In this past week I spoke with a person at the company and she told me that the 'St. Ives Face Scrub' does indeed have 'ground walnuts' in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:03 am 

Thanks Monty.