Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Fruit intolerance?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:00 am 

Hi first post! :)

Ever since our second child, my wife gained an intolerance to most fruit, especially strawberries and cherries. She wil get a tingling sensation on the face in the mouth and ears. She will break out in hives on the face. If we grow our own fruit, it doesnt happen.

Does anyone know what causes this?

thanx!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:38 am 

Hi there,

It sounds like it's the pesticides. For my entire childhood, I couldn't have plums, peaches, carrots, tomatoes, green beans, apples, pears - basically everything minus citrus fruits. For these allergies, I would get very itchy, hives on mouth, uncomfortable scratchy throat - so not going to kill me but not worth eating the foods. I also had (have) a life-threatening allergy to bananas.

Around 4 years ago, I went to a nutritionist because I was anemic (shock) and she told me to try organic produce - since then I can have everything on the list above if it's organic. It can be tricky to find everything in season, but you can almost always get organic carrots and apples, and I've had veggies from friends' gardens and they're just fine, too. It's really exciting!

Now (and I know I'll get gasps for this) before I had had a major reaction I thought it might be interesting to try an organic banana. I rubbed it on my skin and waited, then my lip, then the tip of my tongue, then I ate a chunk - absolutely nothing happened (bananas are mushy though! it was a strange experience). Now, I know I am allergic because I ate a conventionally grown banana when I was younger and got really sick - my allergist said I have the worst banana allergy she has ever seen, in fact. And the organic one was fine. I haven't tried it since, but man - pesticide intolerance/allery is REAL! :)

Stick to organics - pricy but worth every penny for your health and peace of mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:18 pm 

My youngest also gets red all over her face if she eats some types of regular produce. Berries, cucumbers and foods that don't have a thick peel that gets removed seem to be the worst. Just to be safe we eat organic....and have no problems.

If it's not pesticide related it could be OAS...and related to a pollen cross contaminating your imported produce...a pollen that you don't have in your area.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:57 pm 

hanks guys,

very interesting. lin101 i was thinking pesticides too, and with bananas they use gas to ripen them. I think its terrible being subjected to so many chemicals in our life, there should be stricter laws. When they consider a small dosage safe, they never consider the cumulative effect it has on us.

Even driving your car, the plastics all have fire retardants that have cancer causing carcinogens.

I was also considering your point saskmommyof2, because ever since my wife gave birth first our first child, she gets bad hayfever. I cant understand why she got these alements after birth. Maybe something she was subjected to chemically, damage immune system? i think most of these things are immune system related.

thanx!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:24 pm 

There are a number of fruit where ripening is regulated by the plant hormone, ethylene. Ethylene is used commercially in 'ripening rooms' to allow fruit like bananas to be picked and shipped green, while more resistant to handling, then ripened on receipt at destination. For some information on fruit ripening and the use of ethylene dioxide see these sites:

[url]chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryexperiments/ss/ethyleneexp.htm[/url]

[url]http://plantphys.info/plants_human/fruitgrowripe.html[url]

Personally, I suffer from Oral Allergy Syndrome and bananas are one of the few fruits I can consume all year without any concern. Consuming any of the other fruits within the oral allergy groups can be somewhat of a gamble. See:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/concen/tipcon/orale.shtml

Sometimes I can eat certain fruits without a problem and on other occassions I pay the price. Whether this is related to the pollen count of the day, an already challenged threshold level, the particular variety of the fruit or the growing conditions I haven't been able to discern. I did hear a presentation a number of years ago where they spoke about growing conditions and the stress level of a plant affecting the allergenicity of it's fruit. The higher the stress level of the plant, i.e. drought, excessive moisture, temperature extremes, disease or insect attack, etc. then the greater would be the production of allergenic proteins in the fruit. The variability of my reactions tends to make me think there may be some credibility to this theory.

As a footnote, in the past I have been involved in a number of investigations of symptons similar to those described for Oral Allergy Syndrome where general pesticide screening was used as part of the investigation tools. Unfortuntately no explanation could be found for the symptons. For me the jury is still out but I am less inclined to point to pesticides as the source of concern.