You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:05 pm 

Okay, so I was researching ancient wheat-like grains for my blog, and apparently many people who have wheat intolerance or wheat allergy (but not celiac disease) can tolerate spelt, emmer, and einkorn wheat products without problems.

So I thought "what the heck?" and sprung for a bag of insanely expensive spelt flour at the supermarket yesterday, then made a loaf of bread machine bread with it last night. I had two pieces last night and two pieces this morning.

Sure enough, it...

a) didn't make my mouth tingle as I was eating it,
b) didn't cause my cravings to kick in, i.e., I had no desire to devour half the loaf in one sitting, and
c) hasn't made me sick or bloated, as of Sunday evening.

If this is for real, then it's the answer to a prayer. So, my question is, has anyone else been eating spelt? If so, have you been able to eat it regularly over the long term, or did you become intolerant/allergic to it after awhile?

For myself, I'm inclined to keep it on a rotating schedule, with a week or two off for every week that I have a loaf of bread, or a batch of biscuits (OMG BISCUITS!! Ahem... sorry.), or whatever.

But still... seriously. How cool is that?

http://www.wheatintolerance.org/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

So glad you found something that you're able to eat!
:mrgreen:
Isn't it a great feeling? :happydance

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:03 pm 

It is! Since I'm also intolerant to nightshades, I can't have store-bought gluten-free bread because it almost invariably contains potato flour. So I've been sandwich and toast-deprived for some time now. :?

This was weird, because as I was eating it, it didn't feel like eating bread. I had to stop and analyze that sensation (or lack thereof) for a few minutes to realize that what was missing was the mouth/throat/stomach sensations of tingling and burning.

http://www.wheatintolerance.org/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:35 pm 

Hopefully, in small quantities, maybe your body will desensitize itself to wheat intolerance. However, some bad news...

According to Food Allergy Organization (FAAN), "Spelt is an ancient wheat that has recently been marketed as safe for wheat-allergic individuals. This claim is untrue, however. Wheat-allergic patients can react to spelt as they do to common wheat."

Can you use Rice flour to make bread? Zucchini bread and date bread is also good if home made. I don't have a recipe though or a link. Sorry! I'm sure that someone online has posted a nightshade free recipe for wheat free breads somewheres. (My website is still a WIP, and the baking expert is my sister. However, I do hope to eventually have such a recipe by June of 2011 if food prices don't trump that, as I'll have to try various attempts before I find one that works, I'm sure.)

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt