You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:06 pm 

How does one get zinc naturally without getting zinc in its oxide format? Has anyone found a cereal that doesn't contain gluten, cinnamon or Zinc Oxide? The GF Rice Chex cereal doesn't say which format of Zinc they use, but I've been assuming its Oxide because the other cereal companies all seem to use it.
Thanks!

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:41 am 

Hi,

I find wikipedia a good place to start a search for topic.

They have a topic on zinc with a section on dietary zinc.

It looks like zinc is plentiful enough in a normal diet that includes meat. You may not need suppliments. Also, article notes that absorbtion of suppliments of oxide or carbinate forms is poor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc#Dietary_supplement

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:44 am 

Thats just it. I can't eat anything that walks on land or sea. I am taking supplements now I think. I have to recheck the label on my GF vitamins to be sure it contains Zinc. I'll check out the wiki article. :thanksign

UPDATE: I did find that beans contain zinc, depending on how good the soil is. That would mean that if I went organic on my beans, I'd get Zinc for sure, otherwise, it will be sketchy. However, I do get zinc on Fridays, when I can get Sunflower seeds. :banana Next year, I'll just incorporate more salads into my diet, and buy Sunflower seeds. :popcorn

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt