You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:59 pm 

My son has been very sick for the last 3 years. We've finally figured out that he cannot tolerate milk products containing lactose, (butter, yogurt, milk), chocolate, or apple juice.

I've tried baking with products like lard and shortening because his sister could also eat these safely, but I cannot process the fat. Margarine is out because his sister can't eat it. Earth Balance is ok, but I can taste the olive oil in some of the light flavored cakes and icing. I was using coconut oil but the store I purchase it at stopped selling it.

I want to try ghee, (clarified butter), in my baking but I don't want to test it out on him. He's just started to get to school every day of the week. Has anyone used Ghee in their baking to replace the fat? Was there little enough lactose in it that it was ok to eat?

My hesitation relates to our experience with old cheddar cheese. The research that I did says it is low in lactose, but when he ate some he became violently ill. My research on Ghee is that it is low in lactose because it's just the fat portion of the cream with the milk solids removed. It makes sense but I'm hoping someone has actual experience.

Thanks

me: none

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

Has your son been diagnosed by an allergist?
Have you considered plant based oils? Olive oil etc.
Why can the sister not eat margarine except for Earth Balance?
I would be very heistant in restricting the diets of growing children any more than necessary, but at the same time, if it has been established that your child does not tolerate a food, I would not suggest adding it no matter how small the portion.

You say that you are not tolerating fats. Ghee is a fat as well.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:16 pm 

My son is on a waiting list to see an allergist to find out if it is a milk allergy. Our pediatrician doesn't think it is an allergy but wants to rule it out. His symptoms are vomiting, diarrhea and migraines. He can drink Lactaid milk with out symptoms.

I do use olive oil, canola oil and coconut oil for cooking and baking, but they don't make a great cookie. There is something about whipping the butter/margarine that makes the dough right.

His sister is allergic to preservatives in food and we find that if she avoids all chemicals her skin stays clear from eczema and it gives her immune system a break. I know that some people, because of multiple allergies in the family, have different food for each person. At this point I make every item the kids eat from scratch would like to keep the food safe for every one.

And the last question, I can tolerate fat from butter, olive oil, canola oil etc., but not lard and shortening. I can eat Ghee.

me: none

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:46 pm 

I would try adding half of a mashed banana with that Coconut Oil. Banana can be used as a binder, as well. In muffins, one Vegan I found, used Applesauce and Banana, but I don't remember the amount of Applesauce.

Ghee Issue: I wouldn't chance it because you never know how "complete" the process really was. I react to ghee and technically, my Dairy "allergy" is still an intolerance. Some of the milk proteins that aren't supposed to be left behind, might still inadvertently be left behind. Also, even if it turns out that his vomiting is only an intolerance reaction to Dairy, I still wouldn't feed him any dairy in any amount. Intolerance can turn anaphylaxis without warning, despite popular belief to the contrary. This is also why I avoid Dairy as much as possible and don't buy it for myself.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt