You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Safe mini-candy canes?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:55 pm 

Okay I know we have just made it past Hallowe'en but the Christmas candy is already being displayed on the store shelves. I am finding that there are very few if any items that now carry a peanut/nut free label.
I used to see Allen brand mini-candy canes with peanut free labelling. This year I am only seeing packages that look almost identical but lack the brand name and if you turn over the pack list on the back of the package an allergy warning that the product may contain peanuts and tree nuts.
I am concerned that teachers, friends and group leaders will mistakenly pick up the packages that have the warning on them as they look so similar to the old familiar packages. A reminder to keep checking those labels.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:29 am 

I havn't checked candy canes yet, but I just bought a Life brand advent calendar that is peanut free from Shoppers Drug Mart!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:13 pm 

I noticed some mini candy canes didn't have the peanut-free symbol too. :( We try to get the LEGO advent calendars whenever possible as they are food-free.

Last edited by spacecanada on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:36 am 

Safeway and London Drugs both carry the Allen mini-candy canes. These ones carry a no peanut label on the front. Glad o find them. The unsafe candy canes were at Save-On Foods. They do have a warning about nuts and peanuts on the ingredient list on the back of the box. The front of the box of both the safe and the unsafe candy canes looks very similar. Look for the no peanut sign and the Allen brand name. These are easy to confuse.
Candy canes are often given out in schools and groups. We should remind our children about not taking candy that they are not sure is safe. Have they seen the box the candy canes came from? Did the box have the nut free/ peanut free label?
i found it helpful to always have safe treats at home. It made it a bit easier to turn down something questionable when there was a safe treat waiting at home.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:57 am 

I bought the Allan's small and large candy canes. Not only are they nut free, but the label on the box clearly states that they are egg, dairy free as well.
The wrapper for the small candy canes has the company name on it - so it is easily recognizable as safe.

boys' mom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

:banana

Gotta love companies that clearly outline their allergen info!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:23 pm 

Great news, and my daughter is involved in a fund-raising effort at her school for Sick Kids hospital selling the Allan candy canes at school. However, just letting anyone allergic to sunflower seeds know that Allan's candy canes (and Kinder Eggs, for that matter) now contain sunflower lecithin. From the reading I've done (I've not experimented with my son!) sunflower lecithin is not safe for the sunflower allergic as it is normally cold-expressed. (Our son can eat sunflower oil that is highly processed (using heat for extraction).) Many companies are now substituting soy lecithin for sunflower lecithin (good news for those with soy allergy, bad news for the sunflower allergic).

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses