You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Soy Milk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:03 pm 

We have been trying to switch our son to soy milk for quite a long time. So far, unsuccessfully. We have been buying Rice Dream and Soy Dream, but he takes one sip and refuses to drink it. Are there other brands I can try? I have seen a few (names I can't remember), but there is usually a warning about nuts (they process almond milk, etc on the same equipment). Does anyone have an advice/guidance?
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Soy Milk
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:19 am 

We use Natura and So Nice soy milk for my daughter. I like that they both use non-GMO soybeans. That said, my daughter is allergic to dairy and eggs and can eat peanuts and tree nuts so I'm not sure if they are safe for your son. You'll have to check the label but as far as soy milks go, they are the least offensive tasting ones that we've found so far.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:24 am 

We drink Natura soy milk because it's the only one we've found not cross contaminated with tree nuts. The last time I talked to them they said their almond milk was made in a separate facility from their soy milk. Natura does have shared facility (lines?) with dairy, although they've never tested positive for dairy or had a recall for it. If dairy is an issue, you'll have to call and assess whether that risk is safe for you.

So Nice didn't work for us because they now produce almond milk. I started to get mystery rashes and hives and pinned it down to the soy milk, which didn't have a warning. They don't have a warning because they thoroughly clean equipment between batches. Learnt that one the hard way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:39 am 
Site Admin

Natura comes in several flavours. Regular, unsweerened, chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. I switched our daughter to the regular soymilk from breastmilk. I added a little soymilk to expressed breastmilk and slowly increased the percentage of soymilk until it was 100% soymilk.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:30 pm 

If I'm not mistaken, we've tried Natura. We tried adding a little bit to his formula, but it's like he can taste even the smallest splash ad refuses to drink it. I'm not sure what to do. We tried rice milk and soy milk and every flavour we could find and he hates them all! He's stubborn, just like daddy!

I guess I'll just keep trying. Thanks for the help ladies :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:43 pm 

We drink "So Good" Original (http://www.sogoodbeverage.com/beverages_original.cfm). I find it to be pretty good and my kids and husband drink it as well. I have never contacted the company, but my son is allergic to dairy, peanuts, tree-nuts and eggs and we have never had a problem.