You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:20 pm 

Some sort of vegetable oil is generally used to prevent maple syrup from foaming during manufacturing. President's Choice maple syrup (and maple syrup in general) makes my throat sting slightly. One day I happened to buy shady groves organic maple syrup and to my surprise it doesn't make my throat sting at all.

So I called President's Choice...they say they do not add anything to their maple syrup. I don't think that is true---I'm pretty sure that all companies use a defoaming agent. It just is not declared on the ingredients list.

I emailed Shady Maple farms---they use safflower oil! I bet that explains why I can have their maple syrup without any problem.

http://www.shadymaple.com/en/

(Their syrup is really good too. And their drip free spout really works. Plus organic maple syrup won't have traces of the phosphate detergent that is used to flush out the sap lines when conventional (i.e. non organic) syrup is produced. <=I read about the phosphate detergent issue in a magazine in my dentist's office...but I can't remember which magazine! Organic maple syrup is expensive....but I figure I'm using my "beer money" (seeing as I can't drink beer).)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:27 pm 

Great information.

I'm soy / nut allergic and always had a weird feeling in my throat but chalked it up to having Oral Allergy Syndrome and being allergic to most tree pollen as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:34 am 

That's interesting....I chalked it up to OAS too! But I recall reading somewhere that maple syrup is not known to be allergenic...so I wondered. The amount of oil used is very, very minute. But still we ought to know about these things! If I have time...I might give President's Choice a call and also take this up with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:15 am 

Doesn't the law require manufacturers to list all ingredients? Or is it in such a small amount that they are not required to list it?

Either way, if it's an allergen, it should be declared, even trace amounts...

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:26 am 

Labelling laws are kind of complex (I'm not up on them). I don't think that they have to label it if it is in minute amounts or if it is an ingredient of an ingredient. Peanut products are an exception--they always have to be labelled. Refined oil products I think are widely seen as hyperallergenic by some "experts" *in spite* of solid scientific evidence to the contrary. (I find this majorly annoying, can you tell? The consequences of this perception are wide-reaching. One person on this site who is allergic to corn cannot have milk because milk contains corn oil--corn oil is the carrier for Vitamin A. I checked this out with a company that processes organic milk....they said that even their milk contains corn oil. But they were attempting to find a supplier of Vitamin A that uses sunflower oil instead because of concernes with GMO products.)

see: Hidden Allergens in Foods http://allergyadvisor.com/hidden.htm
Reproduced from
Steinman HA. Hidden allergens in foods.
Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 1996;98(2):241-250
with permission from Mosby-Year Book, Inc.

From page 2:
Quote:
Although soybean oil was initially thought to be safe for soy-sensitive individuals,42 it is now evident that soy protein may occur in soybean oil.

Quote:
Recent evidence has demonstrated that although oxidized soybean oil may not show allergenicity, proteins in soybeans are capable of interacting with oxidized lipid to form products that are allergenic to soybean-sensitive patients.

That last sentence is quite interesting---it implies that we can react not only to the proteins but products which have once contained protein? [An aside: the articles I've read on reactions to the "smell" of peanut butter do not take this into account.]

I hope that processed oils will not be excluded from the new labelling laws!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:58 am 

That last quote is an interesting point, Helen. In other words, you never know how these so-called "safe foods" might interact with the ingredients in other foods. That's the way I interpret it anyhow. It's like a chemical reaction. Cooking, in fact, is chemistry.

I wish President's Choice would investigate a bit further and let you know what kind of oil they use. The customer service rep might not even have access to that info, as it is not on a list. He or she would have to talk to someone at the plant, or something like that.

But then again, why bother? Just stick with the Shady Maple brand. It's better than beer anyway! :lol:

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:25 pm 

Yeah, that's how I interpret that quotation too. I've never read that anywhere else...but since it is from the JACI, I'm sure it is good info. I'd be interested in knowing more about this.

I kind of did get the impression that the customer service rep. at Presiden'ts choice just didn't have that info. at her finger tips but assumed that if there were other ingredients she would know.... maybe if I called back and spoke to someone else I'd get another story.

I made inquiries about the maple syrup sold on Saturdays at the St. Lawrence market (in Toronto---it is sold in the north building). I figure that info. from the farmers that produce the stuff is bound to be more reliable. The syrup he bottles comes from the Old Order Mennonites, and he said that he would guess that they don't add a defoaming agent because there is always a lot of foam at the bottom of the barrel that he has to strain out. But he didn't know for sure. He mentioned that when he was a boy they (I assume he was referring to his family) used to add a bit of milk to maple syrup to prevent it from foaming up! I would guess that most companies now use vegetable oil, but one never knows.