You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:41 pm 

Why, Oh why do these milk free "icecream treats" have a "may contain peanuts/nuts warning on it. Personally, I think, don't you know your target consumer...probably has a dairy allergy, and lots of people with dairy allergy have peanuts/nuts as well.

My master plan is to get those of us who can not eat these due to the peanut/nut warning to call or e-mail and maybe they will consider taking steps to protect against the peanuts/nuts.

http://www.sogoodbeverage.com/getintouch.cfm

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:00 am 

It seems as though their target is the vegetarian community (I noticed "Best New Vegetarian Product Award" on their website) and not the allergic community :( . I've already sent my email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:37 pm 

I know... it drives me crazy.

I have a friend who is very frank when she calls these companies. "Do you really think people are drinking soymilk because they LIKE it??" she once asked a CSR when trying to find out if it was run on a dairy line. "They drink it because they don't have any choice!!" It made me laugh.

But you are right - it's very frustrating to think you've found a safe product that's free of one allergen, and then find out that it may contain traces of the other allergen.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:34 pm 

I received a response:
Quote:
Thank you for contacting Soyaworld. Our new So Good Frozen Dessert is made at a plant that makes other products which contain peanuts and tree nuts, so therefore there could be a possibility that these can be lodged in crevices in the machinery, even though they are thoroughly cleaned before our products are made. Most Ice Cream products are made at facilities that make other products. It is very rare that a company owns it's own facilities and most companies contract out their production. Sorry for any inconvenience caused and please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions or concerns.

Consumer Services Representative
Soyaworld Inc.
1-888-401-0019

I understand what the rep. is saying...but it sounds like a "brush off" to me. Basically, this is the way it is and we're really not interested in looking into changes.... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:51 pm 

I guess I know what response I will be getting then. LOL.

Oh well, we still have to try. I really do think they're not aware that many of those with food allergies have multiple allergies, and if you're avoiding dairy, odds are that you're also avoiding peanuts/nut.

Is it really very rare that a company owns its own facilities? I haven't heard that before. So much to learn about the food manufacturing business.... so little time.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:57 pm 

For things such as this, it's probably best to trust no one and make your own frozen treats in an ice cream maker.

Many of them are easier to use that ever and nothing beats homemade!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:16 pm 

What concerns me is this line:

Quote:
Most Ice Cream products are made at facilities that make other products.

Does that mean that that plant produces ice cream too?

But then again they would hopefully declare "May contain traces of dairy/milk", etc.

I think it would be worth doublechecking. Vegans might not like it either...if you have to use that argument.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:29 pm 

Quote:
Does that mean that that plant produces ice cream too?

But then again they would hopefully declare "May contain traces of dairy/milk", etc.

Yeah, no kidding. Unfortunately those "may contains" are still not required.

The thing that I don't think manufacturers get is that if they come up with a "dairy free" product they should be trying to target ALL groups of people who avoid dairy to maximize their sales. Vegan, Lactose intolerant, milk allergic (with peanut/nut allergies too), religious reasons to avoid dairy...I mean, if you go to the work to make the specialty product, why not market it to ALL the sub-groups who would be interested in your product?

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.