You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:00 pm 

I went to buy some Rice Dream ice cream today and now on the package it states that it is manufactured on equipment that processes milk, tree nuts and peanuts and I think one more allergen. I don't think there is any ice cream product available now that my daughter can safely eat. Fortunately we just received an ice cream maker as a gift this week. We are going to try it out tomorrow. Does anyone know of a brand of ice cream product that is nut and milk free? Is Tofutti safe? I noticed that they make nut varieties of ice cream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:46 pm 

I e-mailed tofutti a while ago and had a pretty bad experience with their customer service. Someone phoned me, and he was caughing and hacking and REALLY loud in my ear. Basically he said that yes, they share equipt. with nuts and dairy because they do not have their own equiptment. Nut products are run at the end of the day, and cleaned, but what about the product made the next day, if the equiptment was not completely sterile. He was really wierd about the whole thing like "everyone shares equipt. so you're not going to find any frozen treats that are any better".

Maybe the guy was just sick or something but I just wanted him off my phone. Maybe someone else has had a better response than I did.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:04 pm 

I would also love to hear about a milk/nut free ice cream. For now, we have just avoided it altogether. We do give my son President's Choice, Blue Menu Fruit Bars (popsicles) and he LOVES these! I've never called PC regarding this product specifically (for x-contam concerns), but have called a million times in the past for other things and find them to be GREAT! Their labelling is usually excellent. No mention on this label about "traces of..." anything scary.

eggs, nuts, salmon, tuna (bf exposure only, postive SPT)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:30 pm 

amags -- just a word of caution about President's Choice labelling. Although they do have a lot of products with "may contain" statements - they do not claim to have consistent labelling and advise consumers to call and inquire about allergens with each of their products. See: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1073 for a previous discussion.
PS -- my son also LOVES these bars (I have already called about peanuts and treenuts and no traces) but the smaller kid's version of the bars do have a peanut/nut warning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:46 pm 

Thanks for the warning and wake-up call... I was religiously calling about everything, but must admit that I have recently relaxed a bit. Not a good idea! I'm going back to calling... and am going to call about these Fruit bars and confirm they are free of milk/egg etc! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:38 pm 

We use adn ice cream maker. For milk I will either use soy or cocunut milk adn both work great.
Stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:12 pm 

On the peanutallergy.com site, someone mentioned that their PA child had a reaction to tofutti cuties.....there is some concern about x-contam with their peanut ice cream.

Last edited by Helen on Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:46 am 

I called just last week about the PC fruit bars, and got the "all clear" re: milk. This might sound silly, but I don't remember if I asked about egg. I'm such a rookie sometimes! If anyone calls about egg, please update here! : )

I was heartbroken to lose Rice Dream from my (restricted to breastfeed) diet. I had never thought to call them about the product, so the new labelling was a complete surprise.

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:48 am 

Toffuti has nuts in some of their prodcuts i know this cause my favourite kind of toffti dairy free ice cream is "Better Pecan" so I don't think they're a good choice

What about President's Choice Gelatos? I had a friend in high school who had a thousand different ailments (not sure if food allergies were in there, we don't talk anymore) but she used to praise that stuff as one of the only kinds of frozen treat that nefver made her sick, otherwise I was going to suggest Soy Delisous but I just recently found they have an almond bar, and my usual brand of dairy free ice cream have prainle pecan, and a peanutbutter chocolate one NOT a good sign

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:59 am 

Looks like the PC Gelato is dairy free... but the label does have a "May contain traces of peanuts and nut" warning. Hmmm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:24 am 

Hi!

I know how exciting it is to discover a product that many people who normally can't eat, will be able to eat! My son is anaphylaxis to peanuts and we have discovered Chapman's ice cream.

Here is the website!

http://www.chapmans.com/nutrition.aspx

Enjoy!

Daughter-anaphylactic to kiwi fruit, allergic to soy, dairy, trees, grass, cats & dust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:32 pm 

yeah chapman's are pretty great!!

my 11 month old neice is OBSESSED with their lollypop ad, so i emailed them asking how we could get her a legal copy of it and it took them about two weeks to get back to us, but they asked for the address and within three business days they had sent out a DVD with the ad!

i learned they are a rather small company (based in small town ontario, and only sell in canada), and clearly their costumer service is above average cause someone had to have gone above and beyond to get that done for us since it took so long for a response...