You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:42 pm 

Hi all -

I just got a list of peanut and nut free candies from a friend (used by her kids' school), and it lists the Cadbury Crunchie chocolate bar as peanut and nut free. I was surprised and curious... I had never heard of that.

So I went to the Cadbury web site at http://www.chocolate.ca/ and it does indeed appear to be peanut and nut free. It's not the easiest site to navigate, but if you click on Nutritional Info at the bottom, then from the Brand Menu select Cadbury Favourites and Cadbury Crunchie, you get the info you need.

There is nothing about peanuts or nuts in their ingredients list, and there is no Allergy Declaration for peanuts or nuts.

I never knew this. Did anyone else know this?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:24 am 

I recently discovered this as well when browsing the Cadbury site. I believe the regular size Caramilks are as well. I just wish they'd label the product better instead of having to go to the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:23 am 

I eat them all the time.

Laurensmom, I don't think Cadbury labels anything as *peanut free*. They put a warning on products if there is a risk on contamination.

Are Caramilk the chocolate bar that used to advertise *How do they get the caramel inside*? There are actually several flavours of them that are safe. Some dark chocolate, some milk chocolate. The mint and orange I think are both safe as well. Read the label. Cadbury does put a warning if there's a risk. So no warning - I eat it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:47 pm 

I discovered this back when I was still trying to wrap my brain around the whole "peanut / nut free" thing (where they test the product) vs. a product being "free of peanuts/ nuts" and cross contamination. I was like, wow, he can have these too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:15 pm 

Good to know. We've been avoiding most chocolate in our house unless it's labelled peanut/nut free.

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:07 am 

I much prefer those labels that have the big picture of a peanut with a line through it!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:03 am 

Cadbury also makes Swedish Berries, Cherry Blasters, all those similar gummy-type candies. I called them a while ago to verify that they were okay for us to have in the house, and when I found out they are, I suggested to the CSR that they might want to market them towards those with allergies (i.e., with the "no peanuts" logo, etc.). I really can't remember her whole response, but it was basically that they prefer not to do so & only put warnings on if there's a risk of contamination, like AnnaMarie suggested.

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:04 pm 

cdnmama wrote:
...I suggested to the CSR that they might want to market them towards those with allergies (i.e., with the "no peanuts" logo, etc.). I really can't remember her whole response, but it was basically that they prefer not to do so & only put warnings on if there's a risk of contamination, like AnnaMarie suggested.

Probably because they can't guarantee that their products are "peanut-free" (only confirmed by strict manufacturing guidelines / tests to raw materials and end product for the presence of peanut). They are only stating that the product does not have any peanuts / nuts in them, and that they do not feel that the product has come into contact with any peanut / nut products (therefore no "may contain" statements). That's what I mean when I say it took me some time to "wrap my brain around the whole, free of peanut, OR peanut-free" thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:37 am 

ethansmom wrote:
Probably because they can't guarantee that their products are "peanut-free"

I think some companies also don't want to take the risk of legal action against them. If they make a guarantee (peanut free) can they be sued? I think some companies don't want to risk that.

My husband worked in a business where he often went in to companies, and some companies that refuse to put *peanut free* have manufacturing plants that have big "No peanuts allowed" signs at all entrances. He would be bringing in either a brief case or a tool box, and he would have to show that there was not pb sandwiches in it. And yet, some of those companies would not put "peanut free" on the label.

Post subject: Re Cadbury's
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:29 pm 

I always read labels before purchaing anything!
So, when I came across the origional post here on Cadbury's having some "safe" items, I went onto their website and have emailed customer realtions.
Will forward email when I receive some kind of a confirmation.
Shairose

Post subject: RE Cadbury's
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:27 pm 

SO, I wrote to consumer realtions at Cadbury's, and twice my email was returned adn "undeliverable"....not sure why!
Will retry!