You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Sunbutter
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:53 am 

I've been wanting to try more seed products . . . for one thing I could use the vitamin E.

This product looks great for those who aren't allergic to sunflower seeds:
see http://www.sunbutter.ca/sunbutter.htm

Some of their stuff is hydrogenated, but their "natural" butter has very few ingredients and looks really healthy.

I called, and they have no peanuts in the plant, no tree nuts, no egg. And the sunbutter is not run on a line with soy. Gluten shouldn't be an issue either. (they didn't use the magic words: "gluten free" but they said it should be safe.)

I was *so* impressed with the person I spoke to on the phone. Obviously someone who believes in the product.

It sounds like it would be difficult to find in Ontario. He said that stores here don't seem to be interested. I checked at the Specialty Food Shop---they don't carry it! I ordered some directly from the company . . . the product has really caught on in the US.

I'm not, however trying the Sunbutter on my own---this is something that I'll try in the allergist's office. I haven't had sunflower seeds since I was a kid . . . I used to eat them, but if I ate too many my throat would get slightly itchy. There is the possibility that the seeds were x-contaminated . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:11 pm 

Helen -- I'm also really interested in this product and am actually still waiting on a response from the company regarding availability here in Ontario... from your post, I take it that I'll have to order directly from the company as well. Do you mind telling me if you had to order a large amount (like a case) or could you order a couple of jars and how much did they charge for shipping?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:27 pm 

Hi guys -

There was an earlier discussion about SunButter here in Shopping at

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1167

My local support group did a large group order. You have to order a minimum of 12 jars at a time. It worked out great for our group - we ordered 60 jars, and the cost quite reasonable even with S&H.

SunButter used to be fairly easy to find - I could buy it at 2 health stores for awhile - but then the Ontario/Quebec distributor stopped distributing it, I think. So now as far as I know the only way to get it is directly from the folks in Winnipeg.

I personally love it, as does my husband. The kids... not so much. Oh well.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:35 pm 

Whoops--sorry! you can move or get rid of this thread if you'd like.

Ethansmom, ummmm...I was a bit vague about the order because the person I spoke to let me order one jar, but I got the impression that they don't usually let people order just one. I think he let me because I had indicated that I wasn't sure if I can eat sunflower seeds but was wanting to try it (so it was obvious that I wouldn't be able to order a lot). Also, he just seemed like a really nice guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:32 pm 

Well, I got my jar of sunbutter today. I did ask about allergy info. *and* checked their ingredients on their website. So I did not expect the natural sunbutter to contain soy. (see http://www.sunbutter.ca/sunbutter.htm)

*but* it contains tocopherols and says "may contain soybeans" (tocopherols usually mean soy.)