You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:02 pm 

Hi all -

The leader of the Toronto Anaphylaxis Education Group sent me this info recently and I thought I should pass it on. She noted that she sees this issue as a "product concern" and just wants to make people aware that this packaging issue is present and is being reviewed by the proper authorities.

------------------------------------------
Dominion/A&P Equality & Masterschoice Brand “Peanut Free” Ice cream - currently these products are labeled as being ‘peanut free’ products but have allergy warnings on the back of the boxes stating that it “May contain traces of tree nuts”. There is now a new sticker on the front of these ice cream packages stating that the product is “Peanut and Nut free”, however the allergy warning is still present on the back of the ice cream package. This is causing confusion amongst consumers. This issue has been brought to the attention of the CFIA and is being reviewed. Please use caution and discretion if purchasing this product. Once we have further information from the CFIA, we will provide an update.
------------------------------------------

K.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:18 pm 

KarenOASG wrote:
This is causing confusion amongst consumers.

No kidding. That's so pathetic it's funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:40 am 

The ice-cream is made by Stoney Creek. They decided to go peanut-free - and didn't realize that people with peanut-allergy would stick with Chapman's because we also want nut-free because of cross-contamination issues.

After receiving e-mails, phone-calls, and letters, they quickly decided to go peanut AND nut free - but the packaging was already made. They will use up this packaging rather then throw it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:22 pm 

Well, the sticker does say "peanut and nut free". I think what they're doing is they're using up the old packaging. I think that's great from an ecologically friendly point of view but I think they should have made a sticker that covers up the "May contain" statement, so as not to be confused.

However they also sell pralines and cream and other nutty flavours. Are those old flavours or are they made in a different place?

It is confusing. :?

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:20 pm 

I'm not sure if they have separate plants, or if they are giving up the nut (and peanut) flavours. The last time I checked their web-site those were still on it.

Personally, I figured I'm not buying until all the packaging is correct - and then if I see nut flavours also available, I'll call and ask questions before trying their brand. This is just my own personal choice. I have no objection to a company using up old packaging - I just have my own rules for myself and I make as few exceptions as possible. I'm quite happy with Chapman's products, so I'm not in any rush to try something new.

Others may feel differently - and I would suggest they call to make themselves feel completely safe about it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:39 pm 

Just a note that I was in Dominion this past weekend and noticed that their Equality brand ice cream stated "peanut and nut free".