You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:30 pm 

I had heard of this on another forum and checked it out for myself yesterday at the pharmacy:

Triaminic Thin Strips have the same medical ingredient as Benadryl Children's Liquid: Diphenhydramine HCl (12.5 mg):

http://www.triaminic.com/ts_cough_runnynose.shtml

So one thin strip equals 10 mL of Benadryl Children's Liquid as far as I can tell, since 5 ml of Children's Benadryl has 6.25 mg of Diphenhydramine hydrochloride in it.

For Benadryl info from the company that makes it:

http://www.pfizer.ca/english/our%20prod ... lt.asp?s=1 :

By the way - good info on Diphenhydramine at http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T088800.asp :

Just throwing out this info. I plan to talk to my allergist about it before contemplating using it, but it would appear to be the same thing.

I do find it strange that the Triaminic Thin Strips are marketed as a different kind of product -- for night-time cough and runny nose....

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:13 pm 

Karen, I'm not really surprised because some of the symptoms are the same.

I use to get car sick, and I was reading the package of gravol and it says not to take it with other antihistamines. Since I always take antihistamines when I'm travelling I no longer get car sick. Now, those two things being similar surprised me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:42 pm 

hmmm that's very good to know, and very intersting, yeah a lot of drugs have a lot of different uses you don't often think about... my backup antihistimine (sincei 'm i'm allergic to benadryll and reactine isn't strong enough) is actually usually used as an anti-depressant but in a low dose is great for my skin allergies...

also reading that has made me realise just how much more careful i need to be with cough and cold products with my benadryll allergy def talk with the parmacist next time before i pick up cold prodcuts!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:15 pm 

dustytiger, when I was taking benedryl daily I became very depressed - literally crying. :oops: The allergist prescribed a drug that was origianlly given as an antidepressant. Apparently some patients felt it helped a bit with the depression - but also commented that their allergies weren't bothering them anymore. I no longer take it because since figuring out what my allergies are, I mostly just avoid them. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:42 am 

yikes, that's kind of scary, it's odd how different people react to different drugs, i got depressed after having mono, and started really looking into my allergies after i got that all settled, i tend to not like taking more then three kinds of meds at once, so when my doc gives me more i self-unmedicate... apperently a lot of anti-depressants have anti-histimine qualties odd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:47 am 

We took the Thin Strips on our camping trip, and they are awesome. One very tiny very thin strip has as much Diphenhydramine hydrochloride in it as 10 ml of Benadryl - and that's kind of important when your kid hates the taste of Benadryl (like my youngest). I think this is going to become our "Benadryl act-alike" from now on.

My allergist actually told me that it was an option as well, so it's got her approval too.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:05 pm 

Karen, does it have a taste, or aftertaste? My son will not take the liquid benedryl. He's 8, so I give him the chewable. This works fine if we're near drinking water. If he doesn't follow the pill with a drink of water it will most likely come back up. He usually needs to brush his teeth after as well.

When it comes to colds -- he'd rather suffer the symptoms then take anything for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:21 pm 

I don't know - I will take one tonight (I have the symptoms - bad cough - and they're advertising it for night-time cough, right?) and let you know.

I know that my youngest was thrilled to take it the first time but not so thrilled the second time, but given a choice between that and Benadryl he took the thin strip. My oldest, who is less picky (only about meds though - LOL), loves them.

They are grape flavour.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:50 pm 

I think you just saved me some money. He has never actually swallowed anything grape flavoured. Not medicine, juice, or candy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:50 pm 

Yeah, I took 2 last night and the taste is strong and lingering. I would take these thin strips over kids bubblegum flavoured Benadryl or adult Benadryl (or at least the Wal-Mart version that I had about 2 years ago - it was ghastly), but I definitely needed a drink of water to remove the taste. Did I mention it lingered?? LOL.

But easier to swallow for kids who hate the bubblegum flavour of Benadryl and really need the medication.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:02 pm 

It sounds like these strips are recommended for ages 6 and up, right? Our son is still only 4, and the recommendation on the box indicated to consult a doctor if under age 6.
If I give my son Bendryl, he still only receives 5 ml dose, so this single strip would give a double dose. But it sure will be handy when the time comes! Thanks for sharing this info!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:24 pm 

Yeah - sorry - it would be for kids 6 and up. Or adults who really like grape-flavoured meds. ;)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:36 pm 

On the other hand... my allergist has recommended that my almost 6-year-old who weighs about 43 lbs be given 10 mL of adult Benadryl Elixir in case of a mild reaction. That would be 25 mg of the dipenhydramine HCl, and double the dose indicated on the label. And to get the same amount of medication, he would have to take 20 ml of the Children's Benadryl! So you could consult your doctor and/or pharmacist about what would be an appropriate dose for your child.

Years ago, we called an ER from an island when my oldest was having a reaction. This was before we had an EpiPen and we knew very little about allergies. The ER doc actually told me that the 2.5 ml of Children's Benadryl that was indicated for my son's age/weight at the time (he was 2) would do nothing to help his reaction, and that I should give him 10 ml of Children's Benadry - so 4 times the dose on the label.

I gave my son the 10 ml, and soon after confirmed this advice with 2 separate pharmacists (wanted to make sure I wasn't megadosing my child!). They agreed, after checking the product info and doing the math.

So the dosage on the packaging is definitely on the safe side...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:09 am 

Thanks Karen. I will look into this further as our 4 year old son now wegihs about 43 lbs as well (he's a big boy, and weighs almost as much as his 7 year old sister! ... and he's almost as tall and wearing almost the same shoe size)

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses