You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Nut-free bakery?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:20 am 

Several years ago I remember reading about a nut-free bakery in Toronto. Does anyone know if this is still around? I seem to remember it was started by a woman who had been an orthodontist, but she wanted to change to this new career after having a son diagnosed with peanut allergy. Sound familiar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:20 am 

Years ago I had spoken to a woman at Katie's Cakes on Eglinton avenue. At that time she told me she did not use peanuts or nuts. I haven't checked in years (I do my own baking).

Katie's is near Victoria Park. Since it's a local call for me, would you like me to call with any specific questions for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:45 pm 

That is very kind of you AnnaMarie, but not really necessary. I don't live in Toronto, but occasionally visit. I will just make note of the bakery name and if I end up in that area, will check it out. I do all my own baking too, but I guess it's a fantasy of mine to be able to go into a bakery and pick out some fancy pastry or something! Thanks for your response,

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:49 pm 

That is very kind of you AnnaMarie, but not really necessary. I don't live in Toronto, but occasionally visit. I will just make note of the bakery name and if I end up in that area, will check it out. I do all my own baking too, but I guess it's a fantasy of mine to be able to go into a bakery and pick out some fancy pastry or something! Thanks for your response,

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:07 am 

Thought you might be interested in this place I just read about:

http://www.thecupcakeshoppe.ca/

It is apparently peanut/nut free. I've never contacted them myself - was informed from someone else with a peanut allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:25 am 

Thanks AnnaMarie. I appreciate the info!!

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:58 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
Thought you might be interested in this place I just read about:

http://www.thecupcakeshoppe.ca/

It is apparently peanut/nut free. I've never contacted them myself - was informed from someone else with a peanut allergy.

It's funny that you mentioned The Cupcake Shoppe because I ordered my daughter's cake for her 3rd birthday from there. They're doing a custom "crayon cake" (by special request from the birthday girl) for me. I'll let you know how it turns out on Saturday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:51 am 

Happy Birthday to her. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:32 pm 

That cupcake shop site is truly adorale.

Post subject: Nut-free bakery
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:01 am 

Hi all...there's a place on Bathurst Street, between Sheppard and Wilson (at York Downs Drive) called Richman's Bakery. I believe the phone # is 416-636-9710. They are TOTALLY nut-free (and kosher too!), and will special-bake seed free products if you give them 24-hour notice. My 11-year old is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, fish, sesame, and has asthma, and he eats their stuff all the time. They also provide cupcakes and bday cakes for the local schools.
Oh...there's also a place called Amazing Donuts at Bathurst and Wilson (I don't have their phone # handy)--they are also nut-free, but deal mainly with donuts and cakes.
Hope this helps... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:31 am 

Allan, is your son sensitive to trace amounts of sesame seeds? I have very serious reactions to even trace amounts. But, if you've found me a place where I can buy peanut and sesame safe hot-dog buns - you will be my new best friend. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:44 am 

Although he is anaphylactic to peanuts and salmon he is not anaphylactic to sesame. Worst case scenario is some wheezing and nausea, and general not feeling well. Benadryl and/or puffers are sufficient to help. Call the bakery and talk to Julie about your concerns
And I can always make room for a new best friend! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:24 pm 

Here's the info for Amazing Donuts in Toronto:

3772 Bathurst Street
(416) 398-7546

By the way, there is a bakery in Oshawa, Ontario that makes great birthday cakes. They are not peanut and nut free but the owners (husband and wife) are extremely knowledgeable about allergies and were able to tell me exactly which ingredients they use and where the cake mix comes from (Robin Hood). They also make a point of preparing the cake in a separate area and even store it in a separate fridge.

Here's the info. Feel free to discuss any allergy concerns and decide for yourself if you wish to consume their goods.

Sugar Chalet
310 Stevenson Rd.
Oshawa, Ontario
(905) 434-5777
http://www.weddingcakepage.com

I have been extremely happy with their birthday cakes. Finally, my son was able to get a professionally-made cake for his birthday. One year he had a Finding Nemo theme and last year it was Mr. Incredible! :D

Here are some photos:

Last edited by Storm on Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:58 am 

I don't know if this has been mentioned on the site before but this isn't far from me:

http://www.tickleyourtummy.ca/default.asp

I haven't tried any of their products but I do drive past it from time to time.

I'm going to the Cupckae Shoppe today. I promised my daughter she could pick out any cupcake she wants. :)

Post subject: Baked Goods
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:37 pm 

Personally, I make all of my food, myself. I can enjoy it without worry. Being ana. to nuts/peanuts, and having had severe, life threatening reactions in the past. I have learnt my lesson. I can not trust any one, other than myself to handle my food and the products that go into them. I just do a lot of research right down to the company who produces the flour etc.