You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:07 am 

Thanks myfreckleface !! Isn't it great to see these companies starting up that cater to us? What a treat this would be for a peanut-allergic child.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:13 am 

Thanks, myfreckleface. I'm going to try Tickle My Tummy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:14 am 

I just took a look at the tickle your tummy web-site. They do fund raising as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:27 am 

WOW!

I just got off the phone with Jennifer at tickle your tummy.

They are peanut - tree nut - soy free. Also no seeds in any of their products.

Post subject: Re Nut Free bakeries
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:53 pm 

OOOOhhh!
And to think that I just moved from Toronto a few months before I became allergic to nuts stuff!
So, my qn is does anyone know if there is such a bakery in Vancouver?
I just moved to Burnaby and have not so far been successful!
I tend to bake my own stuff know, and drool everytime I walk by a bakery...It would be nice to walk into one again, and order a treat!
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:35 pm 

I finally had the chance to visit The Cupcake Shoppe http://www.thecupcakeshoppe.ca, which I had been meaning to do for a while now, since I read about them in Allergic Living and from reading the comments here. My son was thrilled to get a special treat, since we always skip desserts when we go out to eat. I thought it was going to be a sit-down place but that was just as well. We got our cupcakes to go. There is just a counter with the kitchen in the back. All cakes and cupcakes are made on the premises. Just to be extra sure, I inquired if they were nut-and-peanut-free. I also noticed that other people asked. It must really attract the peanut/nut-allergic crowd. Well worth the trip.

My son's birthday is coming up and I will order his cake from there. They do themed cakes, but don't do trademarked images. They have a mini album of photos so you can get some ideas... but they will do whatever non-trademarked theme you wish, with 48 hours' notice.

I'll take a photo of the cake I will order and post it here next month! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:31 pm 

I haven't tried their products but I found this info on the web:

"Boulangerie Touché Bakery Inc. has committed itself to providing a nut and peanut free environment with products such as Biscotti, Vanilla Meringues, Chocolate Chip Meringues, and Triple Chocolate Gourmet Cakes just to name a few, that also have no preservatives. All of their suppliers have certified that their ingredients and packaging have not been contaminated with any type of nut or peanut residue or derivative. Sobey's and A & P/Dominion carry their Meringues and Loblaws/Fortinos carry both the Gourmet Snack Cakes and Meringues."
http://www.touchebakery.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:20 pm 

Here are the cakes from The Cupcake Shoppe. I had to get 2 cakes made (there were approx 40 people at the party!!) There was still of lot of cake leftover though... so many people took some home. The cakes taste very fresh and homemade and everyone really liked them.

Last edited by Storm on Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:48 pm 

Thanks for the info on Touche. I'm hoping their products are available in my area too! And thanks for posting the pictures of the cakes. They turned out great!

We have my sons christening in 2 weeks and we've decided to check out the Cupcake Shoppe and pick up some cupcakes instead of a cake. My daughter LOVES cupcakes so I think she'll have a great time helping to pick them out.

This may sound like a silly question but would it be easy to get a double stroller into the shop? Or is there a step to get into it?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:50 pm 

Storm wrote:
The cakes taste very fresh and homemade and everyone really liked them.

I agree! I had my daughter's birthday cake made from the Cupcake Shoppe last year and everyone agreed it was one of the best cakes they've ever had. The icing was perfect too - not sickly sweet like most "bought" birthday cakes.

I'll have to see if I can dig up a picture of my daughter's cake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:53 pm 

mygirlsyd wrote:
This may sound like a silly question but would it be easy to get a double stroller into the shop? Or is there a step to get into it?

I can't remember if there is a step or not (I think there may be), but it would be difficult to get any kind of stroller into the Cupcake Shoppe because it's absolutely tiny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:39 pm 

mygirlsyd wrote:

I agree with myfreckleface. I don't think there is a step but the area is really really small. Basically, there is a small counter with the cash register and then another counter where the cupcakes are displayed. There is only a small rectangle of space. They move people in and out pretty fast though.

The staff are really nice there so I'm sure they'll help you out. Yonge and Eg is "stroller city"! :D

The cupcakes are a wonderful idea. I asked about the toppings on some of the cupcakes (sprinkles, etc) and they are peanut and nut free too.

myfreckleface, please do post your cake photos here. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:31 pm 

Storm,
Thanks for posting the link about Touche. I went to both Loblaws & A&P in my area and neither of them had them. The Loblaws used to but doesn't carry them anymore :( But I did find them at Sobey's.

I picked up the vanilla merengues, triple chocolate biscotti & white Chocolate ginger biscotti. I've only tried the triple chocolate biscotti so far and it was tasty. A nice treat. They didn't have the mini loaf cakes which is what I was really looking for. It would be SO NICE to have an option of buying a baked good that we could serve when we have company and I think their mini loaf cakes would be perfect.

And Thanks Myfreckleface & Storm for the info on The Cupcake Shoppe. Guess I'll wait for my Mom to be down to come with me so I can avoid bringing a stroller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:30 am 

Storm thanks for the info. on Touche bakery - I was also able to find their meringues and biscotti (but no gourmet cakes :cry: ) at our local Sobey's. I bought the toasted coconut meringues and the triple chocolate biscotti. They were delicious!

Post subject: oreos
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:35 pm 

Hi, I have just registered as a user although I have been following others peoples posts for some time. I have two sons one with a peanut allergy another that is dairy, egg, peas, nuts and fish. The tips everyone shares are great. I have a question about the oreos, I went to their website and they list whey in thier ingredients for oreos. Is the site out of date, or has anyone spoken directly with the company?
Thanks
Stephanie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next