You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:10 pm 

Hi stephanie. A few months ago I noticed that oreo crumbs were safe for us (my kids allergies are similar, you have peas...we have chicken but others are the same). I then checked the oreo cookies...and they were fine too! I was shocked. Out of disbelief I phoned kraft, and they were now milk free, which was new. They said that "they have been eliminating unnecessary allergens from foods where they are not necessary, and removing may contain warnings due to more careful manufacturing", this is a recent development, I'd say since maybe september, so maybe old stock is still available which is not milk free, I am not sure. I had not ever checked oreos before but have only heard that they were not safe in the past. The "white" oreos and others like "mint (?)" do contain milk and are made elsewhere, so are the peanut butter oreos.

Read the package, the info on it is current with the new product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:42 pm 

Thank you for getting back to me. It is such a treat to find "regular" kid food that is safe. I certainly know my kids eat a lot better thatn a lot of their freinds because of their allergies and havign to make everything.
Stephanie

Post subject: Nut-Free Bakery
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:18 pm 

Anyone in Edmonton Alberta?
I am searching for a nut-free bakery in or around Edmonton.
Suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:57 pm 

I am from Edmonton but sorry to say I don't know of a nut free bakery.
Stephanie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:54 pm 

I am pleased to announce that I have located a bakery in Edmonton that guarantees that they are nut-free. They also are lactose-free.

We have tried cookies and cinnamon buns from there, and both are heavenly!

The name of the bakery is Bliss Bakery, owned by Lawrence Bliss. It is located on the corner of 118 Avenue and 142 Street behind the Harvey's.
The phone number is 453-0101

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:22 pm 

Hi,

I have just signed up and find all your messages very interesting. I am with Shairose. If anyone knows of a peanut/nut free bakery in BC's lower mainland I would love to know.
(I'm not much of a baker as my family can attest to.) I know that if you contact Dairy Queen in advance they will make your cake peanut/nut free How safe this is I'm not sure?
I have made my own ice cream cake using a brownie base then layering Chapmans Vanilla ice cream Oreo crumbs in the center and more Vanilla ice cream on top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:40 pm 

I just called Touche Bakery to inquire where I could find their Gourmet Cakes in my area. I've tried their biscotti & meringues and they're both very good. Turns out they haven't launched the cakes yet. They are working on it but don't have a launch date yet. They're also going to be launching cookies too - something else to watch for. Something to keep an eye out for!

Post subject: Cakes by Robert
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:54 pm 

I'm organizing DD's 4th birthday party and came across this:

http://www.cakesbyrobert.com/cakes.html

I haven't tried anything from there (and I'm probably going with The Cupcake Shoppe again this year) but apparently it's a nut-free facility in Thornhill (just north of Toronto) and they also do dairy-free or egg-free cakes by special request.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:49 pm 

Schaaf Foods (Waterloo, ON 519-747-1655)

Makes mini banana loaf cakes & Marble loaf cakes. I found them at Costco. Haven't tried them yet because I didn't want to by them before contacting the company but the have no peanuts/nuts or sesame in their products/plant.

Post subject: Re: Nut-free bakery
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:35 pm 

keezster wrote:
Hi all...there's a place on Bathurst Street, between Sheppard and Wilson (at York Downs Drive) called Richman's Bakery. I believe the phone # is 416-636-9710. They are TOTALLY nut-free (and kosher too!), and will special-bake seed free products if you give them 24-hour notice. My 11-year old is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, fish, sesame, and has asthma, and he eats their stuff all the time. They also provide cupcakes and bday cakes for the local schools.

Just thought I'd add that the website for Richman's is http://www.richmansbakery.ca/

(trying to expand my birthday party options :D)

Post subject: So frustrating!
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:45 pm 

Its been almost 8 months since my move to BC from Ontario, and 6 months since I developed an acute sensitivity to all nuts.......and while I have always enjoyed baking and cooking in general, I also used to love going to different bakeries and picking up fresh breads, and all kinds of treat.
Its incredibly frustrating how little is known out there about food allergies.
Its is even more frustrating knowing that I have not had any sucess in finding a bakery in a city this size that caters to people with nut allergies.
I have sucessfully found bakeries that cater to people with Celiac's.....but what about nuts?
Nada, Zip, Zilch!
And here is the kicker!
There is a need for such a place where people should be able to go to and purchase items and feel completely comfortable knowing their lives are not at risk.
I am so craving a hot out of the oven croissant....and ( sniff), even the major grocery stores cannot guarantee them......
I was in Toronto back in April ( PS Read my post under Travel)....and no word of a lie, I headed the day after arriving into towm straight to the cup cake shoppe.....
Ohhhhhh, it felt so good knowing that I could eat and enjoy something without worrying .....
I think I ought to quite my day job and open such a bakery, and while I'm at in sell some home made icecream too!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:27 pm 

Just discovered ShaSha Bread Company.

They make these great little cookies and they're nut free. 2 of the 3 kinds of cookies are also egg free. My daughter didn't like the cookies. She doesn't like chocolate & the ginger ones were too gingery for her, but they're a nice adult treat :D The cookies are also made with whole wheat flour

They also make breads that are only available in the GTA (cookies are shipped all over Canada & US) and the person I spoke to said they didn't have any sesame in their breads but when I looked on their site they do mention sesame :? I was looking forward to being able to buy safe whole grain bread, but not anymore.

Here's their link:
http://www.shashabread.com/pages/frame_ ... s_dry.html

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:50 am 

When you spoke to them, did they mention risk of cross-contamination? The ginger snaps appear to be dairy-free as well, but I'd want to talk to them about how they clean their lines and their policy for indicating risk of cross-contamination before I bought them.

I will call them likely, but if you have info, that'd be great to hear (even just about egg cross-contamination).

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:46 pm 

I didn't ask about cross contamination - just about the sesame. Since our daughter is able to tolerate eggs baked in things AND I knew she wouldn't eat them. We're not as concerned with cross contamination with egg.

I also still haven't called back to ask about the sesame again...not enough hours in a day!

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:08 pm 

If anyone is looking for a peanut free bakery in Victoria, I have been going to Broadmead Bakery in the Broadmead Shopping Centre in Victoria for over a year now because I am informed that they are as peanut free as they can be. They do use other nuts, like almonds, hazel nuts, etc., but not peanut free.

My son is anaphylaxis to peanuts and I get my bread, croissants and cookies, gelato and treats there.

Daughter-anaphylactic to kiwi fruit, allergic to soy, dairy, trees, grass, cats & dust

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next