You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:21 am 

www.allergypack.com/index.html

Could anyone that has it tell me a bit about it?

The single looks fatter then the double.

Will the epi-pen fit into it in it's plastic case that it comes in? (It looks like it will, but the picture is the old case.)

I've been searching for months, and this is the closest to what I want that I've found - so let me know if you have one, what you think of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:44 am 

This looks very similar to a Twinject "pack" that I got (for free) recently, and they are pretty cool. We took ours camping (just packed all the EpiPens and Twinjects that we could find... LOL). I'm not sure I'd wear it or have my kids wear it - I like the EBelt better for that - but it is good. Ours basically cushions the hard Twinject container and I guess it might float too...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:15 pm 

Karen, I googled *twinject pack* but all I'm getting is twinject two-pack (as in two twinjects instead of one).

I also love the e-belt and I will keep that for my son. What I'm looking for is a carrier for myself. I don't always want a purse or fannypack.

Post subject: epi pen belt
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:14 am 

http://www.anaphylaxis.org/content/livi ... alogue.asp

https://www.medicalert.ca/en/products/merchmedical.asp

This is what and where I purchased for my son who entered kindergarten today. He wore the belt with his epi pen around his waist and he didn't think anything of it during this first day and when I watched him play in the yard, it did not hinder him at all. It wasn't flashy so that other kids noticed it but if they did, it would promote awareness because he or the teacher would explain why he had it.

Daughter-anaphylactic to kiwi fruit, allergic to soy, dairy, trees, grass, cats & dust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:35 pm 

BC Mom, those links have a few different products on them. Was it the epi-belt that you bought for your son?

I have one of those for my son. He outgrew one, and although he had worn it for a few years, it was still in great condition. I gave it to someone from another board for her son.

Currently I'm looking for something for myself to carry my own epi-pens. I'm looking for something to hang on a belt loop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:00 pm 

AnnaMarie,

I have this one for myself to carry his epi pen around on the weekends and after school:
S600 - MedicAlert® Tote Twin - $16.95 - This one has room for his puffers also or two epi pens.

I have this one for my son to wear when he is at school:
S602 Small belt fits 19" to 34" $26.95 - it holds one epi pen.

Both are from the Medic Alert link.

They are both great and what we need at this time.

Hope this helps!

Daughter-anaphylactic to kiwi fruit, allergic to soy, dairy, trees, grass, cats & dust

Post subject: Medic Alert pouches
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:06 pm 

AnnaMarie,

I forgot to add that on the back of the one I have are two loops that you can put on a belt to carry on your waist. It also has a set of clasps where you can just hook onto your waistband and it also has a key ring at the end of the pouch if you want to attach to a belt loop on your pants or on a back pack. It has four options. The fourth option is what I use and that is I put in my purse or in a back pack where I have his snacks.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:02 am 

I have had so much trouble trying to find a carrier for myself. Twice I found what I thought I wanted, but was jumping through hoops trying to order, or didn't get responses from the company.

I had looked at the medic-alert, but wasn't sure it was what I wanted -- I want to be able to clip onto a belt loop.

Thank you so much for the information. I will finally order it.

The fact that two fits is better, because my insurance won't cover the twinject only the epi-pen. At school he wears one and has one in the office. For myself I prefer to carry two -- and when we are together we have three. Ain't life grand. :lol:

Post subject: epi pen belt
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:35 am 

AnneMarie,

It looks like you have it all covered. Something for me to think about! Thanks to you!

I heard something that made me feel like I did something right...someone hear that my son was five and have never had to use the epi pen, they said it was amazing. It is isn't?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:34 pm 

If your son has a food allergy and has never needed the epi-pen then you are obviously doing something right. :D

My son is 8. He's allergic to insects and so far his reactions have been localized. Not much I can do to control bugs -- not that I don't try. :lol:

As for me, I developed food allergies about 15+ years ago. Once I realized that tightening in my chest and light-headedness was real and not just imagined, I finally figured out my allergies. (Well, to be completely honest it also took an anaphylactic reaction which included fading in and out of consciousness.) Since then, I've only had a few reactions from trace amounts, and touch. Those reactions weren't severe. Once I was stressed/exhausted and wasn't careful - had a bit of a more serious reaction, was probably just lucky it didn't get worse. After the fact, I think I should have gone to hospital.

All this does keep me on my toes though. :wink: