You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Grocery Isles
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:41 pm 

A new school year is upon us and for the third year in a row my wife and I have had to put together an example list of peanut/nut free products for parents who have not had to deal with this type of allergy. Although we do not mind at all in doing this, we just thought about how hard it is for anyone to shop for peanut/nut free products that are not aware of what a life threatening allergy is and what it can do. I have heard from several people that unless you do you're research and know what to look for, it can be a daunting task to get peanut/nut free products. I do know that this site and everyone’s input has helped out in product selection and shopping has become a breeze for us now. Just think of how we all started and the worries we had and still have. I don't know who to talk to about this (which is the reason I am posting this topic). I hope that someone will read this and get the ball rolling.
In all grocery stores there is an organic section designated to just that type of lifestyle. In my opinion, Organic products are a choice not a required lifestyle. Why could there not be a section in all grocery stores dedicated to allergies? This way it would be easier for everyone new to allergies and those who have had to live with it for many many years to shop with ease. It is my hope that this could be done but I also realize that to accomplish something of this magnitude could be very costly for any company trying to do this. Could I get any thoughts on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:31 pm 

Quote:
Why could there not be a section in all grocery stores dedicated to allergies?

What allergens would be included? Because we all have different allergies, we cannot be grouped together on a shelf And neither can our food.

There are some stores that I have seen *Gluten Free* products shelved in one area.

It might be possible to talk to a store manager about setting an area specifically *peanut free* and include ONLY companies that have *peanut free* listed on their product. (Although I will eat some Cadbury candy, they don't put *peanut free* - I know I have to look for the May Contain warnings on Cadbury.) If there are schools in your area that ban peanuts, you could get help from the School Advisory Committee (maybe) in getting some local stores to set up such a shelf. If would benefit the parents, and the store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:25 am 

I think it's a very interesting idea to plant in a grocer's mind.
How about a "school lunch pack" aisle. Including foods that are "typically" packed in lunches, and including allergy-aware companies with appropriate labelling. Would be a pretty short aisle I guess :(

Unfortunately, as usual this may not encompass those with allergies to corn, wheat, dairy, etc..... Although, why not have a subsection "corn-free" or "dairy-free".

I think the grocer's concern might be issues with the brands, ie other granola bar companies might not supply to that store if that store gives Quaker "preferred visibility".

And of course the grocer would be concered about legal disclaimers etc...Mistakes could happen when stocking shelves.

But aside from those issues, I personally really like the idea.

Just some thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:41 pm 

Regarding some points raised by Catherine.

Grocery stores typically do *highlight* certain products. They are placed at the end of the aisle, or on a shelf near the check-out. This time of year they do that with school snack type stuff. A big chain (like Loblaws or Dominion) is probably not going to lose one contract for highlighting a different product.

Regarding legal disclaimers, I would think adding something about *read all labels* under the *peanut free treats* sign should suffice.

I was recently in a Walmart store and they had a middle of the aisle shelf with peanut-free Quaker Chewy Bars. I don't recall a sign saying peanut free on the shelf - but that's what was stacked there. However, some people had put the non-peanut-free bars on the shelf. I'm guessing they picked up a box of the regular from the regular aisle, then walking past the peanut-free shelf decided to exchange it since their child goes to a peanut-free school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:47 pm 

yeah i thought it was an interesting idea too, but there are so many different kinds of allergies, that it would be really tough to do it justice i think. for the organic isle organic is certified hence it can all go in one place, bascially i think that the big chains have "gone organic" to further out-do smaller health-food stores, unfortunatly

and also for doing a "allergy isle" it would be a facing nightmare if ppl wanted to be i want ot say lazy but i know it's the wrong word, rushed, do a quick trip, and just pick it up because it's in the "no this" area without looking at anything, and another costomer had put it in the wrong place (as with the wal-mart peanut free example) then have somone get mad at the store for it being in the wrong place or what-have you it's a REALLY tough call marketing wise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:38 am 

Interesting remarks. I understand the dificulty in doing this, it just seems that there could be a way to make it easier for those of us who have questions and those that are not affected by life threatening allergies other than at school.