Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: BBQ chicken warmers
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:26 pm 

Hello Everyone,

I have a bit of a problem. My anaphylaxis toward chicken is inhalant, especially when chicken is being cooked or warmed. Now going into grocery stores are getting a bit more difficult. I have noticed reactions occurring from the BBQ chicken warmers, they are not enclosed at all, which allow the smell to spread a bit further. I am wondering if I should go and talk with the manager to see if there is anyway they can make it so those cabinets are enclosed, which will hopefully lesson the amount of particles going into the air.
What should I say to the manager, except the obvious? Any suggestions will be great! I feel extremely silly and almost selfish about this whole thing.

Thanks for the help.

Shannon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:56 pm 

Hi Shannon,

I'm sorry to hear that your allergy has become more severe. It would be really hard to avoid being near hot chicken. I know one other person on this site (Mylene) has difficulty going into grocery stores because of a fish allergy . . .

I do think it would be worthwhile bringing the subject up to see if anything can be done. Sometimes I'm surprised at how understanding people can be . . . although I must admit, they are more understanding where nut allergies are concerned than with anything else.

Good luck--I know it is hard to ask for special accomodation! If negotiating with the grocery store doesn't work out, what will you do? Can you have groceries delivered in your area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:48 am 

That's a tough one, because stores rely on stimulation to the senses to sell. Therefore the aroma of the chicken is part of the selling technique. Shoppers go by and smell the chicken and that motivates them to buy.

Hope you find a solution. :)

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:33 pm 

Thanks for the reply's.

Right now my parents are shopping for me. But once I move outside of the city (not far) I would not want them to do that. I will have to look more into getting groceries delievered.

I know they rely on the smell. Thats why I am stalling to ask them. Grrr.
Thanks for your help :)