You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:47 am 

Does anyone know of a company or brand that produces pumpkin seeds and flax seeds that are peanut/soy and tree nut free? I would love to find some to bake with.

Hope someone knows where I can find some...

Daughter-anaphylactic to kiwi fruit, allergic to soy, dairy, trees, grass, cats & dust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:04 am 

BC Mom,

I order my flax seed from Northern Quinoa Corporation, which if I remember correctly, is in Saskatchewan. You can double check regarding peanuts, as I only checked for tree nuts. Their website is www.quinoa.com -- I also ordererd some wild rice, amaranth flour, wheat berries. I think they carry just grains. I would also love to find a good source of pumpkin seeds. Best wishes,

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:12 am 

squash seeds are edible too---I've baked them straight from the squash (well, I've washed them and added oil and salt. unfortunately, they make my mouth a bit itchy.)

Post subject: Re Flax Seeds
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:29 pm 

Hi BC MOM,
To date I have not been successful in finding Pumkin Seeds that are also not manufactured in a peanut/tree nut free facility.
However, what I will do is wait until the day after Haloween as most stores will clear out their pumpkins.....
I wash them, lightly oil them, salt em and bake rhem away.
This way I know exactly whats in them.
A pain yes, but worth it.
If you have kids and they love to carve out pumpkins for Haloween why not use the seeds?
And Again, while I cannot find Flax seeds that are also "safe", what my DH brough home one day from Famous Foods was a cereal called Perky's Nutty Flax . Gluten-Free Cereal. Its Glute free, corn free, milk and egg free, kosher cereal....if all those matter to you....Their website states:
Kosher Certified: Chicago Rabbinical Council (Kashruth). NO: Gluten, wheat, dairy, casein, egg, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, corn, yeast, hydrogenated oil, artificial anything, or worries-made in a nut-free facility. VEGAN,Vitamin fortified.

Made in a facility that also manufactures products containing soy & gluten. Strict manufacturing and sanitation practices are employed to prevent cross-contamination. This product is routinely batch-tested for gluten.

Shelf life - 6 months.

Ingredients: Whole Sorghum Flour, Ground Flax Seed, Honey, Raisin Juice Concentrate, Salt.
1200mg Omega-3's * 7g Fiber.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:34 pm 

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, advice and referrals. I've written to Quinoa and will report back to you.

I will also bake my own pumpkin seeds. Thanks so much! I still hope I can get some flax seed that is peanut/soy and tree nut free. I will see if I can incorporate the Perky's Nutty Flax cereal into my baking! Thanks!

Nancy

Daughter-anaphylactic to kiwi fruit, allergic to soy, dairy, trees, grass, cats & dust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:05 pm 

Soccermom,

How do you like the flaxseed from Northern Quinoa Corporation? I didn't realize they had golden and brown, and milled, etc. flaxseed. Which do you buy? Which do you recommend for baking cookies and muffins? I spoke with a woman on the phone from there and she seems quite nice. Is it easy to get up to $50 in your orders since I understand that if you order $50 or more, shipping is free...

Just wondering since I will more than likely go this route if I can't find anything here in the stores...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:45 am 

BC Mom,

I ordered the brown flax, not knowing what the difference would be and it has been great for baking. I buy the whole seeds, and when I need to, I use a coffee grinder to grind the seeds.

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:41 pm 

Spitz has sunflower and pumpkin seeds that are safe for me (peanut and sesame seed allergy - avoid all nuts).

I cannot eat the sunflower seeds that are already shelled though - they are in a plant that has peanuts/nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:14 pm 

AnnaMarie - does it say something on the package? Or did you have to call Spitz to find out which ones you could have?

J

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject: Spitz
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:00 pm 

AnneMarie,

Does your sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds say anything on the package about being in a facility with soy? The seeds I was using was also peanut/nut free but not soy free. I am interested to see if it is also soy free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:02 pm 

Thanks Soccermom. I may have to go that route. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:30 am 

www.spitzseeds.com

I did call their 800 number and spoke to someone.

I was looking at their web site a few minutes ago, and they do have flavoured seeds (sorry I forgot about that). Chances are some of the flavours have soy, but I don't know. I couldn't find any ingredient lists on the site - and I only buy salted, which I don't have any here right now.

I would suggest you call them. I found the woman I spoke with quite helpful. She had a son with pa, and by the end of our conversation, I felt safe to buy spitz - and she was going to check out peabutter, which she hadn't heard of. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:39 pm 

I recently bought pumpkin seeds and some other snack items from a B.C. company called "Skeet & Ike's". http://www.skeetike.com/index.html
I was excited to read that their facility is 100% peanut-free. I have not followed up with them to get details, since I haven't fed any of the products directly to my son. But I trusted their claim enough to eat the items myself while on a restricted diet to breastfeed ds.

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:19 pm 

Yes, the pumpkins from Skeet and Ikes is 100% peanut free but made in a facility with tree nuts and that is why I can't buy them anymore. :cry:

And the flax seed, I usually get the Nature's Path is produced in a facility that contains soy.

:cry:

I may have to go with the Quinoa. I've written to them to send all their distributing info to our local organic and health food stores here so that I don't have to buy so much at a time if I buy from them direct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:18 pm 

To confirm BCMom's warning about Skeet and Ike's--I emailed them last month. Here's the reply:

Quote:
Thanks for your interest. The raisins and cranberries are packed on the same
line as the tree nuts, soynuts and corn so I would say that our products are
a no go for you