You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hot Dog Buns
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:48 am 

My son's favourite food became hotdogs this summer. While I do not advocate them as a staple in his diet, I do like to have them handy for quick lunches or dinners.
Anyway, went off to my local Loblaws to buy the only buns he can eat, the only top sliced ones they had had the dreaded may contain sesame seeds.
Arrgh! :evil:
So - what kind was it I used to buy? And have they changed? Is anyone else still finding them.
Sigh

And he starts grade one tomorrow - all day, in school. Sigh.

Good luck all tomorrow!

Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:31 pm 

I haven't bought them recently but the top slice buns we bought in the past were by Wonder/Weston bakery that did not have the warning. Which brand did you see that had the warning?

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:26 pm 

I just bought a package of Wonder Real Big hot dog buns (Weston) and the list of allergens is:

May contain trace amounts of sesame seeds, milk products, egg products, soy products, sulphites.

I have no idea if they were sesame-free before, as I only check for nuts and peanuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:36 pm 

I am sure they were the Wonder buns - Ii was in a bit of a shock so I did not register other than - oh no - sesame seeds.
I will have to recuperate and go back and check again.
Sigh

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:48 pm 

We have not been able to find a safe hotdog or hamburger bun for our son, so we make buns using our bread machine. The Wonder buns with the slice on top had traces of egg in it, so it wasn't safe for us anyway. Too bad it also has traces of sesame... sigh... At least if you make your own, you KNOW they're safe.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:28 pm 

I checked out the top slice Wonder bread hotdog buns here and the warning was there too... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:06 pm 

Well, I do wish I had read this thread. Preferably before eating those buns a few days ago.

After eating two hotdogs, my husband noticed the *may contain sesame* warning. He said it just JUMPED out at him. No reaction, so I guess I was lucky.

I'm always so careful about labels, but we are both down with bad colds and we both just forgot. Guess it goes to show -- always read the label.

But, I'm really depressed about not having any safe hotdog buns anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:05 am 
most gluten-free bread tastes like poop, and i've never bought any (actually, i don't really know if it tastes bad, because i've only had my homemade ... but i hear it does!)

anyway, i checked out a site that i remember reading who make hot dog buns.

the only thing is you might want to toast them (i hear that toasting gf bread makes it tastier)

http://www.ener-g.com/store/products.as ... ells&cat=5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:19 pm 

Okay, I know this is not a great substitute for a REAL hot dog bun, but, sometimes (when I just don't want to spend the extra time making buns) I will just make a regular loaf of bread in our breadmaker, and just use slices of bread for the hot dogs. The recipe I use to make buns is the same as the regular white (or whole wheat) loaf, so the taste is the same, but the presentation is a little lacking. But, heck, the bread is still homemade! It's amazing the effort we have to put into some of these "simple" meals!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:48 pm 

I was just enjoying having something that I can pick up at the store and eat right away. No need to spend an hour cooking. Just throw it on the b-b-q or fry it up. No need to plan DAYS in advance that you want a stupid little hot dog.

Ya ya! I know. I'm whining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:15 pm 

Yup, I hear you Anna Marie... when I hear someone say "Let's just have hot dogs for dinner" I think "Geez, wouldn't it be nice to "just" have hot dogs".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:21 pm 

I don't know if this helps any, but when I was a kid and we didn't have any buns in the house, we'd just use a slice of white bread as a substitute. I know it's not a bun...but...? Do those of you dealing with sesame allergy have commercially made white bread available to you that is sesame-free?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:17 pm 

Ethansmom - Dempsters has 1 possible 2 commercial breads that don't have the sesame warning. The white bread doesn't work for us personally because it has soy flour and my daughter reacts to it. It's just nice to have a few options:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:12 pm 

Ethan's mom, check this link. It is page 2 of a general sesame seed discussion - started before we had a specific forum for it.

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... c&start=15

Near the bottom someone mentioned Dimflmeier Bread. (I think I might have spelled that wrong.) I still buy it. There is rye and dark rye, and a few other kinds of bread. I'm not sure where you are, or how wide their area is.

For plain white bread we eat Dempster's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:32 pm 

I have used tortilla bread for hotdogs when we didn't have buns or couldn't find safe buns. That might work - although I know it's not the same thing as a real bun...

K.