You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:47 pm 

Please note that Clover Leaf now sells a Peanut Satay flavoured tuna. I have written to them to find out which of their tuna products are safe to eat, and which would be cross-contaminated from this flavour.

I will let you know what their answer is.

Until then, I think we should read all of Clover Leaf's labels and also no name tuna labels, in case they produce those too.

(I can't believe that in this day and age companies are adding peanut products to their lineup. :roll: )

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:07 pm 

I am rolling my eyes right along with you, Nicole!

Thanks for posting and for doing the added research too.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:36 pm 

I contacted them back in January and I was told that flavoured tuna's are made in a separate facility from the regular tuna.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:12 pm 

AnnaMarie, has that product been out that long? Wow, I just noticed it this week.

That means that none of the flavoured tunas, such as lemon pepper, are safe. They have a commercial for the flavoured tunas, with beauty queens, but they never mention the peanut satay...

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Nicole on Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:57 pm 

I got a reply today from Clover Leaf :

Dear Mrs. ****:

Our supplier of the various Clover Leaf Flavored Tunas has an allergen control program in place to control cross-contamination of product ingredients. The Clover Leaf Spicy Peanut Satay Flaked Light Tuna is processed in the same factory as our other flavored tunas and is potentially packed on the same line as other flavored tunas; however, its ingredients are controlled and this peanut flavored tuna is packed at the end of the shift after which the processing line is then sanitized before any further products are packed.

Only the Clover Leaf Flavored Tunas are packed in a facility that uses peanuts/nuts products. These flavoured tuna products are as follows:

Clover Leaf Flaked Light Lemon & Pepper Tuna
Clover Leaf Flaked Light Sundried Tomato & Basil Tuna
Clover Leaf Flaked Light Tomato & Onion Tuna
Clover Leaf Flaked Light Spicy Thai Chili Tuna
Clover Leaf Flaked Light Dill & Lemon Tuna
Clover Leaf Flaked Light Spicy Peanut Satay Tuna

Please be assured that all other Clover Leaf products are produced in nut-free facilities.

Thank you,
Clover Leaf Consumer Affairs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:23 am 

Nicole, I'm glad to see that we both got the same answer, that the flavoured tuna is in a separate facility. :)

I guess it's a *comfort zone* thing if you want to try the other flavours. Personally, I don't want to try them anyway - but it sounds like they are trying to make them safe for people that do want them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:07 pm 

What is really strange is that they don't mention the peanut satay flavour in their commercial. They mention every other flavour but that one.

I wonder if peanuts now have a bad connotation for the media, with the emerging trend going towards more peanut free products nowadays?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:19 am 

So they were saying that all their other products not listed within the letter were safe but the ones listed are processed within the same facility with safety precautions?

I really don't agree with the labelling standards. They should have to at least say not only "may contain" but also "processed in a facility that ..."

Self, trees, weeds & grass girl, cats, dogs, chemical sensitive, eczma & now peanuts, fish, shellfish & penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:02 am 

That's right, D's Mom, the flavoured tunas are packed in a separate facility. I don't think I'll buy any of the flavours, no matter how well they sanitize the place.

I haven't seen the label for these products, but I agree with you about the labelling.

Post subject: Clover Leaf Tuna
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:07 am 

Thanks Nicole.

I'm with you. I'm not going to buy the flavoured variety either. I am very thankful for this web site. I bought three cans of the flavoured tuna, spicy chili or something for my husband, two weeks ago. I thought it would be a nice change for lunch ideas for him. They will be going to the office with the rest of the Halloween candy; up for grabs for co-workers.

Self, trees, weeds & grass girl, cats, dogs, chemical sensitive, eczma & now peanuts, fish, shellfish & penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:30 pm 

I finally checked the label at the store and none of the flavoured tunas have a "May contain" or "processed in a facility..." warning! I guess they trust that they do a good job cleaning the lines, but still...not good enough for me. We don't need to eat flavoured tuna that badly! :lol:

I also don't like the fact that they don't advertise the peanut satay flavour with the others. People who pick up the other flavours might not know that there is a peanut flavour and that the flavour they are buying is processed in the same plant. :x