You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:34 pm 

I sent an email to Just Born candies asking about Mike and Ike candies and got a very thorough response... Details below. Note that their products containing peanuts/nuts are made in a separate facility.

----------------------------------------

Just Born
http://www.justborn.com/
Ingredient/Allergen Information
Updated August 2006

Product Listing

MIKE AND IKE®
Original Fruits (Cherry, Lime, Lemon, Orange and Strawberry)
Tangy Twister™ (Apple, Raspberry, Pineapple, Cherry, Citrus Punch)
Tropical Typhoon™ (Kiwi Lime, Orange Pineapple, Caribbean Punch, Pineapple Banana and Strawberry Banana)
Berry Blast™ (Strawberry, Wild Berry, Red Raspberry, Blueberry and Mixed Berry)
Jolly Joes® (Grape)
Mike and Ike® Jelly Beans (Easter only)

HOT TAMALES®
Hot Tamales® & Hot Tamales® Fire™

ZOURS®
Original Fruitz (Sour Blue Raspberry, Green Apple, Tangerine and Watermelon)

MARSHMALLOW PEEPS®
Valentine’s Day
Marshmallow Peeps® Hearts (Strawberry Creme and Vanilla Creme Flavored)
Marshmallow Peeps® Pink Hearts
Marshmallow Peeps® Decorating Kit (4 Hearts and Cake Mate® Icing)
Easter
Marshmallow Peeps® Chicks and Bunnies
Marshmallow Peeps® Eggs (Orange Creme Flavored)
Marshmallow Peeps® Decorating Kit (6 Eggs and Cake Mate® Icing)
Marshmallow Peeps® Chick (yellow) inside a Milk Chocolate Egg
Marshmallow Peeps® Chick (pink) inside a Crispy Milk Chocolate Egg
Halloween
Marshmallow Peeps® Pumpkins, Spooky Cats and Ghosts
Marshmallow Peeps® Cocoa Cats
Marshmallow Peeps® Decorating Kit (4 Pumpkins and Cake Mate® Icing)
Christmas
Marshmallow Peeps® Trees and Snowmen
Marshmallow Peeps® Cutouts (Holiday Cookie Flavored)
Marshmallow Peeps® Decorating Kit (6 Trees and Cake Mate® Icing)

CHEW-ETS® PEANUT CHEWS®
Original Dark
Milk Chocolatey

TEENEE BEANEE® Jelly Beans
Americana Medley™ (LaJolla Lemon, Napa Grape, Chesapeake Cherry, Savannah Strawberry, Indian River Orange and Laredo Lime)
Island Breeze™ (Caribbean Punch, Cabana Strawbana, Kauai Pineapple Banana, St. Kitts Kiwi Lime and Martinique Orange Pineapple)
Country Retreats™ (Strawberry Cheesecake, Peaches & Cream, Blueberry Cobbler, Apple Dumpling a la Mode and Banana Cream Pie)
Luxor Licorice™

JUST BORN® Jelly Beans (Easter season)
Original Fruit Flavored (Cherry, Orange, Grape, Pineapple, Strawberry, Lemon, Lime and Licorice)
Spice Flavored (Cinnamon, Wintergreen, Spearmint, Clove and Peppermint)
Licorice Flavored
Berry Flavored (Cherry, Strawbana®, Teaberry, Blueberry, Huckleberry and Tripleberry)

Thank you for your interest in Just Born candies. This information is meant to help our consumers make informed decisions about the Just Born products they choose to eat
and covers the most commonly asked ingredient questions we get. Should you have questions not answered here, please call our Consumer Relations Department toll-free at 1-888-645-3453
between 8:30 am and 5:00 pm Eastern Time.

Dairy
We do not use any dairy products (including milk and egg) in the manufacture of the following brands: MIKE AND IKE®, HOT TAMALES®, ZOURS®, TEENEE BEANEE® Jelly Beans and JUST BORN® Jelly Beans.

The majority of our MARSHMALLOW PEEPS® do not contain dairy products (including milk and egg). However, the flavor that we use in our PEEPS® Cocoa Cats does contain dairy components. Also, there is milk in the chocolate portion of the PEEPS® in a Milk Chocolate Egg and Crispy Milk Chocolate Egg.

The dark chocolatey coating we use in Original CHEW-ETS® PEANUT CHEWS® is made on shared equipment with milk containing products. Also, Original CHEW-ETS® PEANUT CHEWS® are manufactured on shared equipment with Milk Chocolatey CHEW-ETS® PEANUT CHEWS®, therefore, milk may be present.

Peanuts/Nuts
The chocolate egg in our PEEPS® in a Milk Chocolate Egg may contain peanuts or nuts (this is produced outside of Just Born). With the exception of CHEW-ETS® PEANUT CHEWS®, we do not use peanuts or nuts in the manufacture of any of our other candies. CHEW-ETS® PEANUT CHEWS® are manufactured in Philadelphia, while our other candies (except the chocolate eggs) are made at our facility in Bethlehem.

Gluten
The modified food starch used in the manufacture of our jelly bean candies is corn starch. To the best of our knowledge, all of our candies, except the chocolate portion of the Crispy Milk Chocolate Egg, are gluten-free. There may be trace amounts of gluten in the malt extract portion of the crispy egg.

Soy
The following brands do not contain soy or soy protein: MARSHMALLOW PEEPS®, MIKE AND IKE®, HOT TAMALES®, ZOURS®, TEENEE BEANEE® Jelly Beans and JUST BORN® Jelly Beans. However, at one time, some of our PEEPS® products did contain soy protein. Although it was removed from the recipe in December of 2002, some of our packaging still has this ingredient listed. Packaging updates are in progress. CHEW-ETS® PEANUT CHEWS® contain soya lecithin.

Kosher
The following brands are certified as kosher pareve: MIKE AND IKE®, HOT TAMALES®, ZOURS®, TEENEE BEANEE® Jelly Beans and JUST BORN® Jelly Beans. CHEW-ETS® PEANUT CHEWS® are certified as kosher dairy. They are manufactured under the supervision of the Kashruth Division of the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America.

MARSHMALLOW PEEPS® are not kosher because they contain pork-derived gelatin.

MIKE AND IKE®, HOT TAMALES®, ZOURS®, MARSHMALLOW PEEPS®, TEENEE BEANEE® Jelly Beans and JUST BORN® Jelly Beans are manufactured in Bethlehem, PA.

CHEW-ETS® PEANUT CHEWS® are manufactured in Philadelphia, PA.

This information is subject to change without notice.

A great candy isn’t made…it’s Just Born™.
Just Born, Inc. • 1300 Stefko Boulevard • Bethlehem, PA 18017
Toll-Free Consumer Relations 1-888-645-3453 www.justborn.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:49 pm 

Thanks Karen -- I've wondered about Mike and Ike candies. One less thing for me to look into :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:45 am 
Site Admin

Wow, that's great thanks!
I just have one question...why do they link egg with dairy?
Quote:
Dairy
We do not use any dairy products (including milk and egg) in the manufacture of the following brands:

Was it in the wording of the question?
I'm thrilled with the response as we are trying to avoid dairy and egg- just curious.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:41 am 

I did ask about egg, dairy, peanuts and nuts in my email to them, but their reply (that I posted) was a document, so I think it's just the way they worded it. That struck me as odd too. I guess if I had time I'd write them back and ask why they do that... but I don't have the time! ;)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:26 pm 

bumping up for Halloween...