You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know if there is such a thing but...4x in the past week and a half people have asked about popcorn.
We have a plastic popper that goes in the microwave. (regal catalogue)
I'm looking for some microwave popcorn that I can send to daycare or to a friends house that doesn't contain milk or milk related products.
Any suggestions? I'll scour the supermarket tomorrow.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:49 pm 

I bought PC Organics natural microwave popcorn about a year ago and at that time it was safe for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:16 am 
Susan, we also have the container that goes in the microwave, but when I was away at school, I used to make 'homemade' microwave popcorn to bring to the cafeteria at school.

Put about 1/4 c. of kernels ina brown paper lunch bag, and tape it shut with a small piece. That's it! Add a little oil / salt if you like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:47 am 
Site Admin

Katec-I'll take a look at the PC Organics thanks.
I'm trying to find something that I can leave at an other persons home as an alternative.

Laurie15- that's it!? Wow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:50 am 
Susan,
Yes! JUst don't use a staple to seal the bag. If you like the cheesy taste, use nutritional yeast. I got my mom (also allergic to casein) on that and it is her FAVOURITE snack. Plus, it's one of the healthiest foods!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:04 pm 

Susan - let me know what you find out. I haven't seen a safe one recently.

We usually do plain popcorn in the microwave in a safe bowl with a cover and then pour a decent amount of canola oil and salt on top. It's delish. :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:44 am 
Site Admin

I checked out the local Great Canadian Super Store in Westboro (Central-West Ottawa), and found PC Organics Popcorn and PC Natural Flavoured PopCorn. The organic contains popcorn, palm oil and salt; the Natural flavoured contained popcorn hydroganated soybean oil and salt. I opted for the Natural flavoured (and added melted margarine).
I called the 1-800# about the PC Butter Flavoured with "natural butter flavour" to see if it contained milk (am I dreaming to hope it didn't? :roll: ) The young man was most co-operative but all he could see was that it didn't contain, may contain or manufactured on a line that processed peanuts. He will check into the milk and get back to me.
I think it is worthwhile to have a couple of bags handy for play dates etc., but at home we'll continue to use the popcorn popper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:07 pm 

I phoned about the PC Organics popcorn today to see about the risk of cross-contamination with peanuts, tree nuts, egg, and dairy (our major scary allergens) and was told this:

1. There is no peanut, tree nut or egg in the plant.

2. There are other products containing dairy on the same production line.

3. They don’t label it “may contain dairy” because they feel the cleaning process is sufficient to remove all traces of dairy.

So, as I told my DH, it’s up to us to decide if we’re comfortable with it. (I think we will stick with homemade.)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:49 am 
Site Admin

I too called and they had no milk information just peanut, treenut and egg info. Do they wait until someone asks?
A representative called back and basically said the same as you did.
I guess I should have realised that of course they use milk on the same lines as most products have butter or some butter derivative in it.
Just wishful thinking.
We will keep using our microwave popper.
Hmmm, wouldn't that make a nice Christmas gift for the daycare provider and those friends she tends to spend time with? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:11 pm 
Susan,
I've never had problems with PC telling me about milk and casein derivatives - is it just that product, or in general? I can try calling, too, if you would like... Perhaps you're getting unlucky in the help department. Some of those people...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:06 pm 

They were able to tell me right away when I called. That's funny that your CSR needed to do it in two stages Susan. But at least they called you back... (with bad news).

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:48 am 
Site Admin

I suspect that they had not been asked a specific question regarding millk yet but had been asked about the other allergens.
The CSR was very nice and willing to do the leg work.
Karen, when phoned they were already looking into it so perhaps they had the info and just hadn't called me yet? They called back Tuesday afternoon and spoke to my husband.
I am hoping to find something to offer to caregivers when she is at a friends house for a movie night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:11 pm 

Can she do potato chips? Corn chips? Pretzels? Those are good snacky foods that don't take a lot of work. I'm assuming you want something that people can offer her without having to do much prep?

Plain Pringles are safe for dairy allergic folks, as are plain Humpty Dumpty chips. And we buy Rolled Gold pretzels, although I'm not sure if I've called or not.. (but maybe a friend has - so many items to keep track of!) And we buy Tostito corn chips - the small round ones.

We often make popcorn ahead of time and take it with us. That's an option too I guess.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, we've done chips and pre-made popcorn. PC multigrain pretzels (alphabets) are a staple in our house.
I guess I would like a way of providing the popcorn others seem to desire while keeping our daughter safe.
I don't much like cold popcorn and although our daughter is willing to eat it, I can't expect others to as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:52 pm 

Karen, That's so funny about the snack foods you've listed... we are very limited with our choices, but 3 out of the 4 are snacks you've listed are snacks we buy - the plain Pringles, Humpty Dumpty (they use canola oil - yeah!) & the Tostitos! Many of the snack foods contain sunflower oil, but these don't, so our son can eat them. I'm going to check out the Rolled Gold pretzels - I've just never looked at them, but since they are on your list, I'm going to have to check it out. Of course, we eat popcorn too.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses