You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:29 pm 

...bought my train yesterday and the boys are very excited to make it this week...secretly, me too!!!
Ang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:06 am 

mommysamuels wrote:
I was going to pick up a Wilton kit, I didn't see a warning for peanuts listed anywhere. Has anyone used them and hoad no problems? Or should I just look at making one from scratch>?

See my comment earlier. There is no warning on the Wilton packaging but there are peanuts and nuts in the plant. I was told they are not on the same line as the g-bread houses.

My own personal comfort level wouldn't let me buy the product. We are quite conservative when it comes to something like that...

K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:10 am 

So... we made our own gingerbread house on the weekend... I would like to thank everyone here for helping me get up the enthusiasm to take on this project!! (Honest - I'm not being sarcastic. If it weren't for this forum I likely wouldn't have even started! And I've been wanting to make one for years.)

It was quite the production and it's still not quite finished (and we started on Saturday). My youngest started reacting to the flour dust (he tends to do that - I think he can tolerate eating wheat, just not inhaling it) so he bailed pretty early. My oldest hung in there and in the end made gingerbread cookies all by himself while I worked on the house parts. He was so proud of himself - it was very sweet. He declared, "I'm the first kid in the family to make gingerbread cookies!"

My DH took off for Montreal for the day with some friends - he's so smart. ;)

It was quite fun, actually... but I had to leave the decorating for another day (Sunday). It took hours just to make the parts!! And we almost had a near disaster at the beginning, when the dough turned to crumbs. Luckily I didn't panic - just made more of the liquid part and added it to the crumbs, and voila - we had dough. (I think the recipe called for too much flour mixture, personally.)

At the end of the baking part I asked my oldest, "So, what did you think? Was it fun?"

"It was kind of a pain in the butt, actually," he replied.

I laughed out loud - because that's EXACTLY what I'd been thinking! Several times throughout the day! :lol:

But the end result is quite pretty - the decorating is finallly done, except for the landscaping, which the kids are going to do. But I have to buy more icing. We went through 2 packages of the Liberty egg-free royal icing and we're still not done!!! :shock:

That Liberty icing is amazing. Works like the real deal. And I'm so glad I took that cake decorating course. It helped a lot.

I will post a photo soon.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:53 am 
Site Admin

Oh Karen, I have made gingerbread Houses as a child, so I knew the pain of trying to make it from scratch. But, I still have good memories of the decorating part, so I really wanted to do this activity with our daughter.
That's why I liked the kit so much. The pieces are ready made ande when you add up the cost as well as the time involved to shop (and read labels) for all of the ingredients...$9.99 is quite reasonable!
Post you picture, I can't wait to see it.
I think I will e-mail some of this info to my daughters Principal as Gingerbread houses are quite the in thing to do there. :roll:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:06 am 

[quote="KarenOASG] At the end of the baking part I asked my oldest, "So, what did you think? Was it fun?"

"It was kind of a pain in the butt, actually," he replied.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: Out of the mouths of babes....I love kids!

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:55 am 
Site Admin

I wrote to this company to thank them for making an allergy friendly product (I'm all for encouraging them). I advised them that they were being discussed on a national forum (maybe I should say international now-a-days). I asked them to consider placing allergen information on their website.
I really think the food companies should get to know us because we spread good word of mouth as fast as bad word of mouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:45 pm 

Hey all -

Here's a picture of my gingerbread house.

The kids haven't had a chance to do the "landscaping" but they have big plans. :)

K.

[Edited to show image, rather than linking to the image.]

Last edited by KarenOASG on Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:51 am 
Site Admin

That is very sweet! (pardon the pun)
I will post ours this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:13 am 

Very cute!!! I love the Playmobil guys, they're the right size and the right, Christmassy colours! :D

Still haven't started ours. Time's running out!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:07 pm 

Very cute Karen! I like the frosted mini wheats on the roof. I give you guys a lot of credit for putting in all the work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:40 pm 

An easy smaller gingerbread house is made with graham crackers, icing and you place the crackers around an empty 250 ml milk/lemonade carton. (One on each side, two per side on the roof)
My son is a december baby and we've made these at his birthday party before

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:26 pm 

I just picked up the train as well. I wrote an email to confirm that it is safe for my daughter. I know I won't hear back until next week. What response did the company have about allergy info and cross contamination when others called? This is amazing if it is safe. I will also write the company to thank them. This would be a good kit to recommend to schools. I know that many classes make gingerbread houses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:42 am 

If you speak with them and are satisfied that it's safe, you might want to mention that they could advertise with Allergic Living! ;)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:00 pm 

I bought the gingerbread house, after calling. The gingerbread is the only thing made in the plant, candies are packaged elsewhere. The train is peanut/treenut safe, but the house has a may contain peanuts warning. When I called I was told that the warning was for the gumdrop candies only...so I tossed those bought safe candies to use instead. We can a great time building it...

Ali 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:38 am 

Count me out of the running for the Gingerbread house. I'm plagued by a really sore lower back AND my daughter and I spent the day in the E.R. yesterday. She had an asthma attack after spending the night at her friend's house. They were having a Christmas party and some of the guests brought 2 dogs. She started feeling it Saturday night but she didn't phone us to come get her, she desperately wanted to stay the night, she was having so much fun. By the time I picked her up Sunday early afternoon however, the Ventolin wasn't helping anymore.

(We were at the hospital from 1:30 to 8 p.m.! Someone tell me why they would take somebody with a probable broken foot over somebody with respiratory problems? :shock: The foot is still going to be broken tomorrow!!! We arrived first! Sorry, that's my hospital rant. Once we got in though, we had the sweetest nurse and a really nice doctor.)

I had planned to spend the day baking. As everyone knows, the best laid plans...

At least my daughter is feeling better today, apart from sore lungs, and she felt good enough to go to school.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next