You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:42 am 

Sorry, just realized that this post shouldn't be under Shopping. Hey, I found some nice Dare Christmas candy at the drugstore where we picked up the prednisone prescription after!

There. Now my post qualifies as shopping. :lol:

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

Nicole, my husband would rush in stating very loudly with a sense of urgency in his voice, that our daughter was having trouble breathing.
Triage nurses must assess and determine urgency of needs. If someone is experiencing a compromised airway that is a priority!
If you appear too calm cool and collected, they may assume that you have the situation under control.
I would write a letter to the hospital administrator.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

OK, I took some pictures, now how do I post them please. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:22 pm 

Relatively easy...

1. Upload them to a website. (See my note below.)
2. In your forum post, type in the link, such as
Quote:
http://www.yoursite.com/photo.jpeg

3. Select the entire link/URL, then click the Img button that's found just above the window in which you're typing your post. Make sure there are no spaces between the resulting code and your link/URL.

For more detailed instructions, see Storm's original post at http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1020 .

(And if you're having big troubles, Susan, you can email me the pics and I'll do it for you. I can put them on my epi-man site and you can link to them there. :) )

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:26 pm 

Hey Nicole - I'm so sorry that happened to you! I agree that I would think breathing difficulties would trump a broken foot - but wouldn't they have checked her oxygen, etc when she first arrived? That's what they do at CHEO... do they treat teens/adults differently?

Anywho, there's always next year. Maybe we can have a contest and let people vote next year! :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:52 am 

They did check her oxygen levels at triage, and the nurse said they were fairly okay, even though my daughter was out of breath. The nurse listened to her lungs and said that she was a "little" wheezy. But when we finally got in, the doctor was more concerned than the triage nurse about the wheezing.

I need to be more of a drama queen, I guess!! The squeaky wheel and all that...

I did cause a bit of a stir when I asked the nurse what medication was in the nebulizer. She said Ventolin and Atrovent. I asked her if Atrovent was the one that contain peanuts and she immediately went to check with another nurse who said that it was! She immediately came back to turn the nebulizer off and spoke to the dr. who said to just give her Ventolin. But then they Googled Atrovent, they found out that the peanut ingredient is only in the aerosol inhaler. At least they took me seriously enough to check!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 am 

I guess that exemplifies what I hate most about being the parent of a child with allergies - we ALWAYS have to know eveything. The one place where you'd think someone else would be the expert...

Sigh
I am glad eveything went well. Mental note for the rest of us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:52 pm 

Ain't that the truth, Stefteach.

Going back to ginger bread houses, I saw the most gorgeous gingerbread house mold at Kitchen Stock today, one of those seasonal kiosks at the mall. (I believe they are everywhere.) I'm going to try and get one 1/2 price on Boxing Day because they are $40. It had the nicest detailing though, it makes you look like a pro! It's an iron plaque with 2 sides and you make each side twice for the 4 sides.

They have a website: www.kitchenstock.com, but I didn't see the gingerbread house mold on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:31 am 

I saw the Create-a-Treat kits at the Gatineau Costco yesterday. If I can find the time I will also call them to give them some positive feedback and talk to them about their labelling. I bet they would sell a lot more kits if they specified what exactly "may contain" the peanuts! If you can just chuck the candy and keep the rest, people should know upfront.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:46 am 
Site Admin

Just saw the Create-a-treat gingerbread houses on the store shelves at Wal-Mart yesterday!

Post subject: Gingerbread house
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:40 am 

A couple of years ago, my husband purchased the Lee Valley Tools molds for making gingerbread houses (he will use any excuse to go there). Its actually pretty easy as I am no Martha Stewart. My kids love it and we buy candies that are safe to decorate it with and make my own icing.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.asp ... 53211&ap=2

son - born 1998, allergy to peanut, nuts, sesame, shellfish and kiwi; a bunch of allergies to plants, animals, etc. and asthma
daughter - born 2003, no known allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:34 am 

Thanks Jacqueline, I didn't even know such a thing existed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:17 pm 

Can't remember if I posted this before, but last year I found egg-free Royal Icing at Bulk Barn from a company called Liberty. It worked really well.

K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:09 am 
Site Admin

Yes you did, you said,
Quote:
At Bulk Barn on Merivale near Baseline (in Ottawa) I found Liberty Royal Icing Mix that is egg-free. A friend has bought it before and I think it works fine. (She's avoiding dairy, eggs, peanuts, nuts and sesame seeds and I trust her vigilance and company calling skills.)

It comes in a 425 g bag. It's a powder that you mix with water. Ingredients are icing sugar and soya protein.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:35 am 

Once I cheated by making little "log" houses out of pretzels glued to small milk cartons. Each kid made their own. They weren't edible, of course, but it was way easier. At the end we put all the little houses together and made a little village scene. I recently got big pretzel rods - they are about 8 inches long and 1/2 inch in diameter - and my husband said they made great log houses, and I could see that they would. You could stick them together with chocolate instead of royal icing if you wanted, pretzels are really good with chocolate.

My kids have been after me to make gingerbread houses for years, you have inspired me!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next