You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:48 pm 

There's a new bakery in town - Papa Pallones on St. Anne's Rd just south of Fermor.

http://www.papapallones.com/index.htm#

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but will be stopping buy (pun intended) to see what they have. We're also dealing with egg allergy but if they already do the peanut/nut thing, maybe they have a handle on other cross-contamination issues.

Has anyone been there yet? I'll be sure to let you know how it goes when I do.
Margaret

[Edited by the moderator to fix the broken link]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:33 am 

Wow - that's great. Keep us posted on what you find out!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:48 pm 

Stopped by today afterwork. What a nice Italian family runs the place. They have family members with peanut and nut allergies and decided to open up shop about a year ago. It's been good. They've been getting input from CFIA to help ensure safe food handling practices for their bakery/deli. Sounds like they'are comfortable with stating that everything is peanut/nut free.

Unfortunately for us there are alot of products with egg in them. Even their base for their breads has a may contain egg warning so we won't be able to buy much. There were a couple of cookies we could have and I bought some just to be supportive of their efforts. I told them if they ever wanted to branch out and try some egg free baking, I have some tried and true large volume recipies that may work for them.

I hope those who live in and near WInnipeg will help support them - with or without allergies.
Margaret

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:23 am 
Site Admin

You might want to check to see if they are using whole egg or dried egg in their baking.
many bakeries use dried egg powder which becomes airborne and can cause a reaction when inhaled. It can also contaminate most items in the bakery.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:18 am 
Site Admin

I recieved a private post from the head baker advising that they use whole eggs in the bakery so the risk of the egg powder becoming airbourne is not an issue.
I think it's smart of food services to reasearch by visiting these type of forums to help them determine their customers needs better.
Some manufacturers would pay a lot of money for the feedback that they can get here for free! :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 am 

Hello, this Papa Pallone's. i now we had a few request for egg free and dairy concerns. We understand this concern and although we are a Peanut and Nut bakery. We do our upmost to help our clients. Our guarntee is for Peanut and nut free.We have a very strict policy in our bakery regarding cross- contamination. It's not allowed no way no how.
We don't use use Peanuts and nuts. Nor will we ever, thats our Garantee. It's make us very happy to have a mother get a first birthday or a little boy get his first donut. It's a great felling beyonds words. It's make us even more happy to see them come back. Because of the trust they have in us. So i hope more pepole will support us, weather they have Peanut and Nut allergys or not. We also make at pasta sauce, noodles to go
And more comming on the deli side. The pasta sauce is just the way moma yust to make.

Well take care
Papa pallones
Leo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:26 am 

Leo, the whole egg and dairy free thing would be wonderful. I'm supposed to go to Winnipeg sometime this summer to visit relatives and it would be so nice to be able to eat some treats while I"m there.