You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:35 am 
Site Admin

We'll be travelling to Banff next summer and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they might carry an eggless, milkfree bread or hamburger buns? I am also wondering if they carry a milkfree margarine.
I plan to pack some home-made pancake mix and some safe noodles that our daughter likes. My husband is joking about customs opening my suitcase and finding packages of white powder.
We'll be flying in to Calgary and driving to Banff so we can shop in Calgary too if eeded.
Yes I have been obsessing. I've booked the stay at Rundle Manour which is a small apartment building turned into a hotel. Each unit has a fully functioning kitchen and has parkinf spaces which I have read are hard to come by in Banff. It appears to be 2 blocks from the Safeway, af few blocks from the hospital and 2 blocks from the church the wedding we're attending will be held at.
Any information would be much appreciated

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:40 am 

We bought our bread in Alberta at Safeway. We used the Safeway brand bread, which comes from their Calgary bakery...available in multi-grain, oat and other varieties. When I called about it, customer service said that it was egg free, and that if there was any possibility of cross contamination it is their policy to label with a "may contain" (just for those products coming from the Calgary bakery, not the ones baked at each store). I wasn't checking for dairy though.
The ingredients for the "traditional oatmeal bread" for example are:
enriched flour, water, oats, glucose-fructose, gluten flour, yeast, canola oil, salt, calcium propionate, sodium staroyl-2-lactylate, azodicarbonamide, calcium sulfate
Not sure if any of those indicate milk protein?

Their customer service # 1-888-safeway.
Hope that helps. Enjoy Banff! It's one of our family's favourite places.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:49 pm 

Susan,
We buy Safeway brand bread, hot dog buns and hamburger buns are also available. I do find that Save On Foods has teh best selection of allergy safe foods.
They carry toffutti and Earth balance cheese.
Good Luck
stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Wow! I'm glad to hear about the breads and buns. They sound like they would work for us.
I'm afraid that it sounds too far to travel to go to the Save on Foods stores but maybe I can ask my sister-in-law to bring me some Earth Balance cheese from Fort McMurray as she'll be coming down for the wedding too.
Do you think it would be ok to bring margarine on the plane if I checked it?
What will the securtiy think of me? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:38 am 

I wouldn't worry about bringing margarine on the plane. I have always been able to buy fliechemans at safeway. I just find that they frequently don't carry things like soy yogurt. Banff is a very hippy kind of town I would think that there would be a lot of vegatarians there and soy products shouldn't be too hard to come by.
Stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:02 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Stephanie,
Can you tell I'm obsessing?
The trip not until August! But in truth, we've not taken our daughter anywhere other than Grandma's or camping. I have complete control in both of those environments (my mom is great).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:27 pm 

Hey Susan. If you're in Ottawa and flying to Calgary, you won't go through customs - unless your're going via the US - not sure why you'd do that! If you are they won't let you have dairy, meat or produce. If you're in Canada the whole way you'll be fine! I'd be tempted to do my shopping in Calgary - I think the prices in Banff are going to be CRAZY - you know - tourists and all!

Safeway definately has all of the brand name stuff - so does Sobey's. Both bakeries also have ingredient binders for their bakeries on site, but we can't buy at Safeway any longer as they now have nut/peanut warnings on everything - a change in jus the last few months - which doesn't work for us!

Also found this from a different allergy site. - looks like it's worth exploring.

Earth's Oven
This bakery specializes in gluten-free baking, and many of their products are dairy-free, egg-free, yeast-free, etc. They also bake without additives or preservatives. They do special orders (e.g., wedding cakes) and will ship by courier.
2133B ~ 33 Ave SW (Marda Loop), Calgary, Alberta, T2T 1Z7
Tel: (403) 686-4810
www.earthsoven.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:55 am 
Site Admin

mharasym- Thanks for the info. We'll be flying out of Hamilton as we're going to try and squeeze a visit with my Mom into our summer vacation plans as well.
I definately agree with the shopping in Calgary idea. We were thinking about taking the bus to Banff from Calgary Airport (recommended on one tourist website) until I saw the cost involved :shock: ! We're hoping to visit the Royal Tyrrell Museum so we'll need a car for that anyway and the hot spring that doesn't smell like sulfur is further out of town (I know our daughter would worry about her asthma with the smelly ones).
I will prepare a menu, shopping list and plan to do most shopping in Calgary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:45 pm 

If you can't find some things at the mainstream stores, I recommend Amaranth Whole Foods http://www.amaranthfoods.ca in Arbour Lake (NW Calgary, so it's mostly "on the way" when you're heading out to Banff).

You can also try Community Natural Foods. They have a couple locations -1 downtown and the other by Chinook Mall (South Calgary). http://www.communitynaturalfoods.com/

When we lived in Calgary we were luckily very close to Amaranth, and I loved it! Thankfully now I have good options here in Winnipeg.

Have fun planning your trip. : )