You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Nonuttin' Foods Inc.
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:05 am 

One of the vendors I came across at the Allergy Expo was Nonuttin' Foods Inc. They produce granola bars that are free of peanuts, tree nuts, seeds, dairy, sulfites, eggs, trans fats -- you can check out their website at www.nonuttin.com. I sampled the bars and was impressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:17 am 

These are the granola bars everyone keeps talking about. :lol:

I guess the next time I'm down on *hospital row* I'll go to the specialty food store in Sick Kids.

Thanks for the link. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:24 pm 

I bought a box for my PA son. They were expensive ($24.00 for 16 bars) but worth it. Hopefully they will become more available in Ontario soon.

Ali:cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:46 pm 

Fantastic! Thanks! How helpful!

I wonder what it would take to bring the costs down?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:13 pm 

We bought a box of these granola bars at the Allergy Expo as well - they are delicious! We had a long conversation with one of the founders of the company, and we were very impressed. We talked to her about the possibility of providing these bars in vending machines at schools (as a healthy and safe option), but apparently the vending machine owners needed them to provide them at a lower cost than they are currently able to. They are a relatively small operation, but my husband & I were very impressed with their product, their approach and professionalism. I hope the company and the demand grows so they can lower their prices!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:57 pm 

I checked out the Nonuttin site after reading this post and called them since you can "Try before you buy" My 2yr old daughter gobbled up the bars and I sampled too! They were REALLY good! I just called an ordered a case. Expensive but well worth it!

I can't wait to get them now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:08 pm 

Thanks for the info! I just ordered a free sample.

I thought their allergy policy was very well done.

http://www.nonuttin.com./allergy-resources/allergy-policy.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:22 pm 

I ordered a sample too. I also checked out under "stores with our bars" and found a retailer, that happens to be in the city that my husband is currently in on business. He will bring some bars home on friday. Thats one good thing about having a husband who is always away at work...I can send him to pick up items at healthfood stores across sask and part of alberta on a whim. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:57 pm 

My husband brought some home from his business trip to Regina this week. They are AWESOME! My kids, me, husband everyone loved them! Even my milk/egg/chicken daughter is not allergic to them, and it seems that she is allergic to everything sometimes. My husband goes to Regina again this week so he is instructed to bring home a few cases. These will be great in my daughters preschool snack! These will be great when traveling! I was really impressed with these. They get 8 thumbs way up from our house! :D

They were a bit expensive, but understandably so. It takes money to create a facility to make them and start up a company from scratch. When people take the time, effort and consideration to make such wonderful products it is hard to complain about the cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:18 pm 

We got the free samples today. I agree, they are delicious! I ate the chocolate chip one (my son hates chocolate... how great is that? :D ) My son tried the apple cinnamon bar and he liked it a lot. He's a very picky eater so I know he really liked it! He'll be trying the raisin bar tomorrow. We're definitely going to purchase a few boxes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:22 pm 

We got our free samples monday. I normally do not like raisins in products, I probably wouldn't have tried the raisin if it wasn't a free sample. The raisins in these were soft and delicious, and I actually really like them dispite the fact that I normally do not like raisins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:52 am 

I ordered a sample as well. My daughter tried the chocolate chip one yesterday and she said she loved them. She's got the apple cinnamon one in her lunch today.

I was amazed at how quickly they came. I ordered on Monday and they arrived on Wednesday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:53 am 

Probably sound stupid asking this but what, where and when is an Allergy Expo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:47 am 

1) there is no such thing as a stupid question :)

2) I've been wondering what has happened to allergy expo myself. Last spring (in Toronto), a company got together a fabulous group of speakers (allergists, respirologists, leaders of anaphylaxis support groups, a nutritionist, MPP Dave Levac and Sabrina Shannon's parents who were fighting for change in the schools...I'm sure there were some other speakers as well, but you get the picture) Also, there were a lot of vendors selling products geared towards the allergic community. AllergicLiving magazine had a booth as did canadian anaphylaxis and asthma support groups. I think the idea was to have this every year if it was a success, but it wasn't that well attended and I haven't heard anything more about it. I'm guessing that it was a one time event. The first day was geared towards health professionals and people who work in education and in the food industry. The other days were for "consumers."

I thought this was a great idea (although I think that they could have done away with the distinction between "professionals" and "consumers"), and I learned *so* much by going--I'm disappointed that they aren't holding it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:10 am 

I was hoping that their would be one this year. I was wanting to come, and make a trip of it, probably with my best friend who has kids with allergies too. It would have made a great excuse to spend a week in toronto on a "girls vacation". :D