You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:54 am 

Has anyone ever found such a thing as a dairy-free ice cream product that is also free of traces of peanuts/tree nuts and can be found in southern Ontario?

My seven-year-old went for his annual allergy testing yesterday and remains positive for milk and eggs (plus the nuts, which we didn't test for this year). Before the appointment he was worried about having the skin pricks done; at the appointment he almost missed the skin pricks but burst into tears when the weal came up positive because it meant he couldn't try ice cream. :cry:

I remember once years ago getting him Rice Dream but I haven't seen it around in a long time. It seems to me that both Tofutti and Soy Delicious may carry a cross-contam risk with nuts. Are there any other options out there?

If there is no commerical product, has anyone had any success somehow making a dairy free ice cream product? Please share!

Thanks! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:59 am 

Hi Nialla -- welcome to the board!
Here's one previous discussion on the topic: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... ight=maker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:04 pm 

And this one too

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=502

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:47 pm 

I have seen Rice Dream at Loblaws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:10 am 

Is Chapman's available near you? I checked their web-site and found this listed under Sorbet.

Quote:

Sorbet
Refreshing and flavourful, this is the ultimate guilt-free, way to indulge. Sorbet is a naturally flavoured water ice that does not contain dairy products making it lactose free, fat free and cholesterol free. Chapman’s Sorbet is also Peanut/Nut Free. Available in 2L plastic containers.

I've tried a few of their flavours and enjoyed them.

They may have some other dairy and peanut free products. The Lollys are labeled peanut free and lactose free. I don't see any thing that I recognize as dairy, but since I don't deal with the allergy I would recommend you check for yourself.

www.chapmans.ca click on products, then look around. Good luck finding something you enjoy. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:22 am 

When my daughter was allergic to dairy (she outgrew that one along with the egg allergy) I bought a Donvier. Used to make fruit sorbets all the time. You could "cream" it up with soy milk. Maybe you could find some soy milk recipes on the Net.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:14 pm 

Rice Dream now is labeled with a may contain warning for nuts. We have used the recipes for ice cream found here on the forum and have great success. It is cheaper and we feel confident in serving it. We especially like the recipe from Saskmommy for vanilla ice cream. Chapman's sorbet is made on equipment that is also used for ice cream and the company has given some mixed messages about the suitability of it for dairy allergic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:26 pm 

I would definitely double-check with the Chapman's products - I believe they are produced on dairy equipment, so I would want to ask them if they consider it truly 100% free of dairy proteins (and not just free of lactose).

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:06 pm 

My son also has a milk and peant allergy. We buy the Tofutti frozen desert which is similar to icecream. He loves it. They have several varieties, vanilla, choc, and a few more. They are all dairy free, most are peanut free but always check on that because there is one flavor that is peanut. We have been buying this product for a while now. They also have dairy and peanut free ice cream bars. I buy them at Sobeys and Altantic Superstore. These are worth looking for!! I hope you find them. When ever he is invited to a party and they are having an ice cream cake, I always pick up the vanilla Tofutti ice cream for him, dress it up a bit by molding it in a "cake slice" by putting it into a small pizza shape plastic container I have, sprinkle some oreo crumbs on top of it. Looks and taste great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:13 pm 

Sorry, just read your entry again and see that there may be a cross contam. with Tofutti. I didn't realize that. My son has had a peanut allergy since he was a baby and he is now 10. I've been buying this product for years and he has never had any reaction to it. He is also allergic to milk and outgrew his egg allergy at 8 years old which I never thought would ever happen. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:18 pm 

My girls love a frozen banana...placed in the microwave for about 25 seconds and mashed, and stirred. It's not ice cream...but it looks like it and it's two thumbs up in our house!

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:34 am 

You can find Philly Swirl at Costco (at least in Winnipeg you can) and it lists the PhillySwirl as penaut/nut, egg, dairy, gluten & soy free.

http://www.phillyswirl.com/products/ing ... s.cfm#stix

I know they are very responsive to inquiries about their products and will answer your questions about how they manage their ingredients.

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:35 pm 

I have heard a lot of good things about this company on another forum. I didn't realize they were available in Canada! I have to say - Costco seems very good about carrying allergy-friendly products. At least ours in Gatineau is!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:56 pm 

I have noticed Dorgel brand sorbet at our A&P this year. There is a mango sorbet that does not have any milk, egg or peanut ingredients but I have not contacted the company. Has anyone else contacted them or seen this product?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

If you are avoiding egg and milk but can have nuts, then SoGood ice cream is a great treat! Loblaws carries it.
http://www.sogoodbeverage.com/desserts.cfm

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb