Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:29 pm 

I found them at a Dominion Store.

They are not in the regular freezer where you would find things like Sara Lee -- instead they are in a freezer in the bakery section of the store.

They had two different kinds of cookies, two different kinds of muffins, and two different flavours of cake. Prices were reasonable -- cakes were $19.99, cookies were 8 for $4.99 (large cookies), muffins were 6 for $4.99 (not huge, but a decent size). I bought double chocolate cookies because I let my son choose -- and we both say they are really good. I think for the first time in nearly 20 years, I'm going to buy a birthday cake for myself instead of making one. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:55 pm 

Thank you AnnaMarie for this wonderful info, I will try going to a Dominion Store. Those items sound so good. It's so nice to have something that you know that you can pick up last minute and not have to bake ahead of time. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:37 pm 

We are visiting family in Timmins and I found many of the products here at A&P. I bought the chocolate and vanilla cakes. The vanillla was nice and we are going to use the chocolate for my daughter's 7th birthday tomorrow. She was very excited to find a store bought cake that was safe for her. I think it makes her feel a little more normal. I can't believe that we are buying her birthday cake!! I made one for her party with her friends last week so it gives me a break.

She wasn't thrilled with the vanilla but is looking forward to the chocolate one. I think she has been spoiled with having homemade for so long! We also bought the chocolate raspberry muffins. They are more like chocolate cupcakes.

The nice thing about the products is that they have a long shelf life so retailers can bring in a shipment and not worry about spoilage for a while. The items we bought were dated fresh until Feb 09. I also like the instructions for serving on the packages(wash hands prior to opening, use clean utensils and serve allergic person first.)

The price for the cakes is a little high given the size but the company has extra costs for the allergen testing. So I understand the cost.

I hope I can get some of the products in my area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:31 am 

We bought the chocolate passion cake for my daughter's birthday yesterday (I decorated it with Hannah Montana loot bag items) and oh my gosh was it ever good! It was rich but yet light if that can make any sense. The topping was like chewy fudge....if you're a chocolate lover than you are going to love this one for sure. We also tried the chocolate raspberry cupcakes and double chocolate oatmeal cookies-loved those as well.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:01 am 

ds didn't even notice there was oatmeal in those cookies, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:35 am 
Site Admin

Just got Ange-Gardien's e-letter. They've just started selling their muffins, cookies and loaves online.
Not sure of delivery charges, didn't follow through to checkout.

http://www.alimentsangegardien.com/bout ... ult.2.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:10 pm 

I forgot to post that in the summer we had purchased the chocolate cake for a birthday. It's small -- but you don't need big pieces. Boy is that stuff rich.

It's delicious. My oldest grandson was so pleased that I could eat the cake too. He's accustomed to the fact that I usually can't -- but this once, I could.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:40 pm 

I just saw in a "Metro" (A&P) holiday flyer and add for a Christmas yule cake from Guardian Angel foods that looks very decadent! Can't wait to try it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:32 am 
Site Admin

Guardian Angel (Ange-Gardien) has advised us that they will be conducting taste sessions at various Loeb, A & P and Metro stores through out Ontario in the coming weeks.

For information: http://guardianangelfoods.com/eng/tastings.htm

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:09 pm 

IGA and Sobey's are the same company, I wonder if Sobey's carry's these products? I'll make a phone call and see.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:16 am 

There is also a nice little article about Julie LaRochelle (the founder of the company) in Canadian Family.

Click here to see it.

K.

Last edited by KarenOASG on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:17 am 

katec wrote:
I just saw in a "Metro" (A&P) holiday flyer and add for a Christmas yule cake from Guardian Angel foods that looks very decadent! Can't wait to try it!

My mom noticed that too at her new Metro in Mississauga. We are going to have it for Christmas when we visit my folks! It's amazing that we can do that.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:37 pm 

I bought one last week for us to have over the holidays. My daughter is thrilled and it is one dessert I don't have to prepare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:06 am 

We just ate the guardian angel christmas log cake this weekend (first time having one of their products) and I think I thought I died and went to heaven! I'm about to go and finish of the last piece in the fridge, it is soooo good! I do all our baking now due to my son's many allergies but I don't think my baking is as good, either because I'm the baker and its nice to not be for once, or that they just know what they're doing! Anyways, we are fans of this food line now and will be buying another christmas log cake for the christmas day at my parents. Anyways, just wanted to add my thumbs up to this cake! mmmmmmm :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:08 am 

I should add that we bought it at A&P, who also sells the Tofutti brand of dairy free foods which we also just recently discovered, delicious! :)